Author Topic: Hi from northern New York  (Read 3159 times)

Milk Made Farm

Hi from northern New York
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:50:59 PM »
Hi everyone I am new here .  I live in way northern NY 20 mins from Canada .  We have about 40 Saanen dairy goats . I am a soap and lotoin maker but want to either open a raw milk dairy or make cheese.  I have just started playing with more advanced cheeses .

We live on 60 a of river frontage with 3 of our 4 children still home .  we also raise Icelandic sheep , German Shepherd , Paint & Quarter Horses.

Patty

Tea

Re: Hi from northern New York
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:48:38 PM »
Yeah another soaper ... welcome to the board.  I am assuming that you use you goats milk to soap with?  Would love to see some photo's of your soaps.  Do you milk your sheep also?  I think that would be great to make some real sheep milk cheese.
My husband used to own paints.  His heart was won over by one which became his favourite horse.
Well great to have you here, hope you join in the conversations.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm also from NY, usually I refer to it as Upstate, but your more Upstate that I am. ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:20:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum Milk Made Farm!

I have no idea about making soap from milk, in fact I never even new you could do that :o.

If you or Tea (who continues to amaze me) and others want to discuss this, as I have admin rights, I could open I could open a new board for this subject? Reply here or PM me, if want, thanks John.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41:35 AM »
What?? making soap from milk?  You can if you want too, but once you understand the basics there is not much else to it.  Although maybe a section for other milk uses, other than cheese if you like.  You can also make moisturing creams from milk, which are my personal favourites, but as I don't like using preservatives, they unfortunately have a short shelf life.
Would be interesting to see what others think.

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »
Done, new board called "Non Cheese Milk Uses" set up here. Maybe my wife or daughters will get interested . . .

Milk Made Farm

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 08:52:48 PM »
How cool !  Thanks guys . 

I actually make a living {well somewhat} selling Goats Milk Soaps & Lotions .  Just got a new order from NJ for 300 jars of lotions !

Patty

Tea

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »
Hey congratulations, great to see.  My husband keeps telling me that I should start selling my soaps, but I lack the confidence to do so.  I sell mainly to friends and family.
Would love to see some of your products.  I posted a couple of my goat milk soaps, would love for you to do the same.
How long have you been making soaps etc for? and what advanced cheeses have you been experiementing with?

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »
Congrats on order for 300 jars, sounds like you will be going into full production!

Milk Made Farm

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
I just ordered every culture known to man kind  ::) I am just starting on more advanced cheeses.

we are going ahead with plans to build the addition and my cheese room in spring .  we are talking with are inspector to get state liscensed .  I will start with chevre and feta I think and take it from there .

Patty

Tea

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
Ohh wow, how wonderful.  The costs here of setting up a cheese room are prohibitive, no matter how small you go.
Keep us informed of your progress, and I am very interested in how it goes for you.
Have you ever tried milking the sheep?  My book has some cheese for sheep milk, and I was just wondering if you have tried it?

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:43:04 AM »
MMF

Congrats on big step, I was wondering when someone who was in the selling business was going to show up on this forum!

Making cheese is a big learning experience that takes time, have you checked out any other small commercial cheese makers?