Author Topic: affinage  (Read 2695 times)

reg

affinage
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
was just reading a story about a lady by the name of Beth Carlson that hooked up with a company that makes sheeps milk cheeses called Vermont Shepard. interesting to say the least. her quote is a thought that i share and would like to follow as closely as possible

"I'm on a mission to eliminate the use of plastic and wax in American cheeses," she says emphatically. "Cheese is a living thing, and if you use plastic or wax you trap all the natural emissions that cheeses release and you can end up with a bitter product."

later this morning i will be going downstairs to wash/brush the rind of my Alpine style cheese. i hope to finish this cheese without the use of plastic or wax. to me this is what cheese is all about :-)

Cheese Head

Re: affinage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:55:16 PM »
reg, you should be able to, especially with your harder alpine type cheese, but I think it will be tougher with soft gouda type cheeses, there you would have to keep the humidity higher to avoid drying it out. Let us know . . .

I think this is your article.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:04:36 PM by Cheese Head »

Tea

Re: affinage
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
Which correlates back to some of the thoughts that we had in the "Waxing cheese" thread.
Exactly how I think, only I also include preservatives and chemicals etc in foods, and bath and body products, which is the reason why I do a lot of what I do.