Author Topic: Goats milk soap  (Read 6326 times)

Tea

Goats milk soap
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »
Ok to kick off this section a couple of goats milk soaps that I have made.  Not show pieces I admit, but here they are for what they are worth.
One as you can see is a scrub bar, with amber, sandlewood, peppermint eo's, the other is supposed to be a purple colour, as it is scented with lavendar eo's, but I was trialling a new violet colour and it ended up being a grey colour instead of purple.  Oh well, live and learn.

If anyone else has some soaps, I would love for them to share.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:56:15 PM by Tea »

Milk Made Farm

Re: Goats milk soap
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »

heres one of mine.

Patty

Tea

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 04:49:03 AM »
That is beautiful, and that is where I lose confidence.  ALthough I can make a great soap, I don't know how to present them so that they look great, and I hate wasting money on packaging, that is only going to end up in the bin anyway.
Great swirls too by the way.

Milk Made Farm

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
Thanks  :)

Look at a bunch of other peoples stuff then copy it !

When I sell it I wrap my soap in a plan paper band with my logo on it.

Patty.

bdasko

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:50:15 AM »
That is beautiful, and that is where I lose confidence.  ALthough I can make a great soap, I don't know how to present them so that they look great, and I hate wasting money on packaging, that is only going to end up in the bin anyway.
Great swirls too by the way.

One thing that helped me was to find an amateur photographer who was willing to take soap in exchange for photo sessions... she posed my soap, set up the backdrops and the photos turned out gorgeous.  and it just cost me a bar or 2 of soap!

Tea

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:26:19 AM »
Hey Bethany, way to go, they look great.
The black soap, is that a pine tar or charcoal?  It looks stunning.

bdasko

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »
Thanks!  I used to do guest soap for resorts and whatnot.  The black soap is a dead sea mud soap with coarse dead sea salts embedded on the top.  It's a really nice spa soap, though of course I prefer the oatmeal for its gentleness.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
You used to do guest soap, what stopped you?
I have often looked at getting some dead sea mud, but I didn't realise that it would turn a soap so black.  I think I am going to have to try some now.  That soap as really inspired me.

bdasko

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 03:32:12 AM »
Mostly burnout, it was very "feast or famine" and some months I'd be working 80 hours per week and some I'd have no work.  I got pregnant and decided I wanted a regular job that I could leave... and the benefits are a nice bonus too ;)  I didn't think it was fair to my daughter for me to be that busy sometimes, it would literally be working like crazy for a few weeks at a time to get 5000-10000 bar orders made and out the door.

Tea

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
Ahh yes, pregnancies can do that to you.  Hope you get the chance to start up again in the future.

bdasko

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »
Oh I will :)  I kept all my equipment... I think in the future I'll diversify a bit more, I actually want to be a market farmer and soap will be a part of, but not the entire, product offering (add it to the fresh veggies & fruits, eggs, probably homeraised meat, etc).  I didn't like the production aspect of soapmaking... I loved experimenting and playing but when it comes to 500 pounds of the same old soap over and over it just got monotonous.  I think if I do enough other things it won't seem like a chore and I'll be able to maintain it more.

it's so true what they say about letting your hobbies stay hobbies... if you turn them into your job, you really run the risk of it becoming "a job."

Tea

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »
I suppose that is where my fears lay too.  As much as I love soaping, to do it everyday.  I not sure?
I am looking at supplying a couple of local stores with some soaps, and see how it goes from there. I have a stockpile of soaps that I really need to turn over.
We'll see how that goes first.