Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 5530 times)

SalMac

Re: Hello from the UK
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
Yes I think youre right, how do you control mould? Wipe it down?

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »
Yes, best way is wipe with clean cheesecloth and light brine or with brush if in deep, some people also use vinegar. Good luck ;)!

SalMac

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »
Ok its now three weeks and the recipe recommends waxing at this stage. It has finally hardened up and  formed a rind. Given its not been at the ideal temp (8 deg max) shall I wait a little longer to wax it or does the fact its got a rind mean its good to go?

Sal

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »
I think when to wax is more a function of moisture content and time rather than temp and time. Waxing forms a more impermeable layer to long term minimize moisture loss. If you further age the cheese at high humidity levels then the natural rind you have developed without waxing should be good enough. Another more modern option is vacuum bags. If you want to wax then I think it is whether you feel comfortable with the moisture level currently in your cheese, two moist/soft and the cheee may still be trying to expel moisture resulting in mold under the wax. Only you can tell this moisture content. Hope helps . . .

SalMac

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
No, btw great answer. It is too moist still and I understand now what the problem may be if I wax now.

Ive done one of these (gouda) a week now for 5 weeks and i'm beginning to understand what mistakes cause what results. ie inadequate pressing, brining etc Some are rubbery, some dense, some loose. Ive had a great difference in curd yield to the extent on one run I was able to make a second half gouda!

Completely bogged up the one I did today. Jeez youd think a 40 yr old could follow a recipe, well apparently not :-)

Todays gouda didnt go through the 'take off the whey and replace with fresh water' bit. It didnt set properly and I accidentally turned on the wrong ring and it cooked at 40-50 deg instead of 38.... Curds were very small and I used the finest material I could find to sieve it. But got a fair amount of curds in the end.

If it turns into cheese I'll post the bogged up recipe....

Thanks

Sal

PS On my last order to the cheese making supply company I added a draining bag. It turned out to be much more densely woven than standard cheesecloth and has been extremely effective.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:46:16 PM by SalMac »

Tea

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »
Thanks for the updates on this Sal.  I agree it is frustrating to make mistakes, especially when we know what we are supposed to do.  Great to hear about the bag too, I have wondered what the advantage of them was. Might look into one myself.

SalMac

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
Finally cut my first gouda.

Six weeks old.

Pretty pleased, a bit too salty but my husband likes it that way.

Cheese Head

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »
If I turn my head it looks very nice ;D, congrats.

Tea

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Hi Sal and that cheese looks good.  Looking at the colour of the rind.  Is that the mouldy one or did you end up waxing?

SalMac

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi Tea

It is the mouldy one but saved it and waxed it by painting, but when we cut it we were both very surprised how thin the wax covering was. I noticed from one of your posts you have a wax warmer and dip? Do you change the wax everytime or just reheat it sufficiently to nuke anything nasty?

CH

Sorry should have photod before eating :-) Might have had a bigger target....

Tea

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
No I don't reuse the wax, I think you have to heat the wax to dangerously high heat to kill off any nasties.
I just put my wax into an old pot, that I no longer use and has a wide enough mouth to dip the cheese into, heat to 100C or there abouts, and then dip half the cheese at a time, and usually about 2-3 times just to ensure that I have a good covering.  I then just let the wax cool in the pot, so that way it is ready for reheating next time.