Author Topic: Seeking a cheese recommendation to go with my recipe for cheese/fruit/nut/melt  (Read 3096 times)

sundance

Hi- I'm a cheese newbie and am looking for any suggestions to add to my recipe for a fruit nut and cheese dip for baguette and crackers.  I'm using Brie as my main cheese, but would like to add one other to complement the dish. In a pyrex baking dish I add brie chunks, mango sauce, some pineapple chunks, roasted pistachios, and roasted pine nuts. I cover and heat for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted. It's really quite tasty and people love it. Again, I'm interested in adding a second cheese to the melt to complement the brie. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you kindly in advance.

Cheese Head

Hi sundance and welcome to this forum!

Sounds like a fun recipe and would love to know the details (& possibly pictures :)) as I've started making Camembert which is very similar to Brie. We've got a Favourite Recipes board here (where reg has posted a Brie & Leek Pizza recipe I need to try).

I'm finding it hard to think of something as Brie is already quite a distinguished flavour. It's not strong so you wouldn't want lots of a very strong cheese otherwise it will dominate it. I built a page on Brie here and there are some manufactured flavoured Brie's listed that may give you an idea. Also, how about a small amount of a swiss Emmenthal or Gruyere type cheese?

Also, a little while ago I did take a few pictures of cake type Brie's for sale in our local store here in Houston that I've been meaning to make, should provide you with some ideas. I've just posted them in our Favorite Recipes section for all to find.

Again welcome . . .
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:06:47 PM by Cheese Head »

Tea

Just wondering why you feel that another flavour needs to be added?  Do you feel that it is lacking something, or are you just experimenting?   Not sure that I can recommend another cheese that wouldn't drown out the brie.  Try Cheese Heads ideas, and see what you get.  Would be interested to know what your final decision is though.
Let us know.

sundance

First of all thank you for the welcome and the responses.
The swiss emmenthal sounds like a good suggestion CheeseHead. Yes, Tea, it's a bit of experimenting. It is definitely not lacking- it really is good as it is. The dish actually surprises a lot of people and they can't stop munching.
The reason I'm considering a second cheese to add is just to play with the taste buds. It's already a world of flavors with all the fruit and nuts- so it really doesn't need it- but at the same time it wouldn't hurt it. Just to vary the taste a bit between bites- in a marbled kind of way. It has 2 fruit tastes, two nut tastes, and hey- why not two cheese tastes? I don't mean to offend any purists with this one. It's just a little fun party pleaser- part of the fun is it keeps people guessing what it is. Was wondering if something perhaps stronger or more pronounced than the brie could actually work. Or even something like a little bit of gorgonzola? hmmmm. I'll work up the recipe for the board sometime with pics.
Ciao 4 now

Tea

That would be great, would love to see the pics and know what you finally decided to go with.

merlin

Interesting that you want to add something to this.  It's not going to be easy to add a new cheese and still be able to keep the great taste of the brie in the front.  I'd suggest using a hard grating cheese that you can just add at the end.  Something like Beemster XO, Piave, or Roths Private Reserve.  This will allow the creamy grassy flavor of the brie to be pronounced but will leave that last kick of bold flavors at the end.  Let us know what you decide and how the end product came out like.

sundance

Hm, interesting... thanks Merlin. Nice ideas.

LadyLiberty

instead of another cheese why not something like a mead or a fruit Liquer?

I tend to agree with the other folks here, that combination of fruit with the brie seems like adding another cheese would detract from the Brie.  That looks absolutely divine btw.