Author Topic: Frank's Goat's Milk Ricotta  (Read 2778 times)

Frank

Frank's Goat's Milk Ricotta
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
We bought a gallon of goat's milk and made soft goat cheese and it came out fine.  Mixed some herbs and chopped garlic in it and it's very good.  Had some trouble with it making curds but finally got it to go. 

But...when we went to make ricotta with the whey, the recipe called for adding cider vinegar to make it curdle, it never did.  The recipe is from Ricki Carrol's book.

We did everything right....temp etc and it never made curds.

I keep thinking that it's the elevation here in NM, 6758 feet, that is effecting the process but can find nothing on the subject.

We just got another gallon of goat's milk and we'll make feta tomorrow.

God bless all. 

Frank

Cheese Head

Re: Frank's Goat's Milk Ricotta
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »
Congrats on getting your raw goat's milk to coagulate, I've heard it is tough! I've never made Ricotta as very little product from the amount of whey I get. Tea has some great results making Feta in this forum.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
Hi Frank and great to hear that you made the cheese.  With the fetta, if the curd doesn't form that well, strain it through some cheese cloth before putting it in baskets.  A bit fiddly but it works.  Have saved a fetta that way a couple of times.
When making the ricotta, did you add some more milk to the whey before heating.  My recipe calls for another cup of milk to be added, then white vinegar.  This is added in stages until the curd turns.  Again the curd is tiny, and needs to be strained through cheesecloth. Maybe with your altitude, more vinegar was needed.  Although too much it going to give you a sour cheese.  Maybe there is a fine line here that you shouldn't go beyond.

calgal98

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »
How high did you go with temp?  I go to 205* with all of my ricotta unless I'm making fresh milk ricotta.  I don't usually have to add extra vinegar to my ricotta's, but I do use rennets in my cheeses.  I use fresh full cream goats milk, and the cream is about 6%.