Author Topic: Aging Cheese in Sealed Tupperware containers  (Read 4386 times)

driekus

Aging Cheese in Sealed Tupperware containers
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:31:58 AM »
I currently have my cheese aging in what is best described as tupperware containers with an elevated base. The problem that I have is maintaining humidty in this container without risking rotting the cheese. The instructions that I have that came with the kit (glengarry) say that I should wipe the container dry everyday. Unfortunately I think this is drying out the cheese. I have tried putting a little water below the line of the cheese to maintain the humidity but am unsure if it is a good idea or not. I have added salt to this water to prevent spoilage but am unsure.
Any suggestions or am I going down the right track?

linuxboy

Re: Aging Cheese in Sealed Tupperware containers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:42:49 AM »
Well, what's the RH level? And is it stable? Those are the two big factors, steady RH of 90%ish

driekus

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
I unfortunately have a room hygrometer, nothing with a probe that I could put into the sealed container. I assume that because the container is sealed the humidity is stable, Im just wiping the condensation out everyday or so. I have no additional moisture source so it must be evaporation from the cheese that is condensing.

Alex

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:57:51 AM »
Driekus, this is the method I used at the beginning of my cheese making, but only for Cam's. I made some 4-5 mm holes on the sides of the box, and with masking tape I closed and opened the holes instead of "playing" with the lid. I hadn't a hygrometer then, so the indication for best humidity level was some condensation (sweat), not drops, on the lid.

driekus

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
At the moment I get some condensation on the side of the container, with some beads. What do you mean by not drops?

Alex

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
As english is not my native language, some times I might be missunderstood. Beads, it looks that it's what i meant.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
You got it Alex - I understood perfectly. I think drops and beads might be the same idea.