Author Topic: Made a Parmigiano Reggiano from a DOP registration  (Read 5756 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Made a Parmigiano Reggiano from a DOP registration
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:58:26 AM »
This weekend a made a nice Parmigiano Reggiano from a translated DOP registration certificate. It smells right and feels perfect from the brine. I think this will be a really great cheese.

I pulled it out of the brine this morning before work, dried it off with paper towels and took a few pictures of it for my records. Then I put it back on the top of the stove and

It slipped off the plate! Wedged between the grates or whatever they are called the pots sit on and busted off a few edges! AGH!

Have have include some before and after pictures .... sniff .... sniff!

Here is thr recipe I used and my pH readings:

Parmigiano Reggiano

Ingredients:
7 gallon of raw milk skimmed
1/8 teaspoon TA61
1/4 teaspoon LH100
1/8 teaspoon MM100
1/2 teaspoon Kid Lipase
1-3/4 teaspoons Veggie rennet

Procedure:
Milk is heat to 76°C (167°F) and cooled rapidly to 36 °C  (97°F).

The acidification is obtained adding latte to a natural sieroinnesto, characterized from microorganisms of the species of L. helveticus, L. bulgaricus and L. lactis . 1/8 TA61, 1/4 LH100 and 1/8 MM100. 1/2 teaspoon Lipases added rehydrated in 1/4 cup distilled water. pH before rennet 6.50.

The coagulation is obtained using serium of the  of the young goat. Completed the coagulation in 10-15 minuteren, the curd comes manually cut before in great slices, allowed to rest  for 10 minuteren and then reduced till the dimension of grains of rice with small wheel and spino for 10 minuteren.

A value to be 1/3 is drained and then cut she passes herself to the phase of slow baking arriving to approximately 45 °C (113 °F) for  15 minuteren, and then they quickly till approximately 55 °C  (131 °F) for 15 minuteren, knows itself maintaining the mass in constant agitation.

Finished to the heating the curd it must rest, carefullied lay down on the bottom of the boiler till the attainment of the just degree of acidity. pH 6.3-6.4

The extraction happens with shovel and burlaps, preparing large fagotti that they remain to sgrondare till the completion of the acidification. Always enclosed inside of burlaps, the curd comes inserted in fascere of wood and compressed with the aid of a disc of wood and a weight.

pH of the curd before brining: 5.1

The clearing of the serum continues slowly for approximately 24 hours and during this period of time the fascera comes progressively compressed, reducing of the diameter with an appropriate system to rope and the cheese comes many times over rivoltato.

After approximately 48 hours it begins the long phase of salt out in pickling brine to the temperature of approximately 15 °C  (59 °F) than hard approximately a month and door the cheese to a content of 1.5% and 2% of knows them.

The hard stagionatura from 9 to 24 months in conditioned premises to 15-18 °C  (59 to 65°F) with temperatures opportunely modulated in first is/seven months. The cheese remains supported on shelves in wood and during the stagionatura it comes subordinate to rivoltamenti, spazzolature, scorings and oliature of the crust.

12 -15°C (54 to 59°F)
70-80% RH

padams

Re: Made a Parmigiano Reggiano from a DOP registration
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:02:28 AM »
Aw, Debi!  It's still beautiful, tho!  And huge!  Do you think it would be possible to cut it in half?  the recipe, I mean ;)

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
I can't really gauge how big it is from the picture... What size mold did you use? I am preparing myself to make a parm in a few weeks about the same size, so I'm curious as to the yield and dimensions.
Nice to have a recipe with such an authoritative source. Not nice that it took a tumble on you  :-[

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:16:01 PM »
It's interesting that they add Lipase. I didn't think the Italians did that in their natural rind cheeses.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:12:45 AM »
Aw, Debi!  It's still beautiful, tho!  And huge!  Do you think it would be possible to cut it in half?  the recipe, I mean ;)

Padams-
It is actually 8 inches across and 4 inches tall. Not really huge but enough to last a good while.

Yes you can cut the recipes in half or third or whatever you wish.

Mark -
This was pressed into a tomme mold that is 8-3/8 across and 6 inches tall.

Sailor -
They don't need to it is a naturally occurring item over there. We need to add it according to the analysis and studies done on the cheese.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:30:55 AM »
But isn't the Lipase written into the DOP documentation???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:06:32 AM »
Only that it exists due to the area of production types of feed etc. not that it is added like we would do. Although some forms of Parmesan like the grano pando (?) do actually add kid lispase. 

There are appeals for diviations (?) filed to the DOP people to allow the use of cultures and lipases so other areas can produce the cheeses under the registrations. Apparently the cheese can be prduced faster, cheaper and dang near equal to the oringinal. It will be interesting to see what happens. I would imagine the people making these cheeses now would fight like the dickens to stop that.

I also read they are considering another type of registration for cheeses that will be produced with bacterial cultures and such for export/production to/in other countries. A royaly or franchise type of thing if I understand correctly.

coffee joe

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »
Dejaydebi,

I've been looking into making a parmesan and yours looks great. Would it be possible for you to post the original DOP in Italian? I looked and couldn't find it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 04:35:56 AM »
I had several instructions but I think this one had most of it. Many I have deleted once translated as I am low on hard drive backup space.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »
Sorry I haven't posted the parm update until now but better late than never. This was Christmas (10 months old). Needed a few hunks for my cheese and sausage packages. SO I cut it a bit early. Excelent flavor and a nice bite!  ;) I only cut half then resealed - the rest will wait until next year.

OudeKaas

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
Looks fabulous! Is it me or is there a bit of white mold on the exterior - is that normal?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
Looks fabulous! Is it me or is there a bit of white mold on the exterior - is that normal?
I get that from a little residual whey/moisture inside the bag with the cheese.

I don't believe it's mold.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »
Yes that would be a bit of whey. Once the bag is opened however a white mold will develop and it is normal.