Author Topic: Brown on Blue  (Read 3487 times)

Knoal

Brown on Blue
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:51 PM »
Hello all  :), my third post happy to be here.

I've made my first blue cheese.

I used trader joes whole milk and some trader joes cave aged blue cheese as an innoculum.

I put it in a big plastic storage container with a glass of water and set the whole thing the the garage at 55-57F.

The cheese started to bule up right on schedule.

My question is about mold colors.  On the top it's mostly blue.  On the sides it's 70% light brown and the rest blue.  Note:  the blue color is more vivid than in real life.  The brown is about right, maybe a little light.

Normal?  Abby-normal?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Brown on Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
Looks perfect. How long has it been aging?

Knoal

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
Thank you, Sailor!

That was after a week.

It's been another week now.  I'll post another (better) photo this weekend to show the progress.

The holes grew in with mold and the repiercing has been done   ;D

Knoal

Knoal

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
This photo was taken about 10 minutes ago.

It's a much better color rendition.

Blue is two week old(ish)

Knoal

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
Blue update #3

Seems to be coming along after a month:

MarkShelton

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
Is it shrinking?
In the 1st pic it looked like it had convex (bulging out) sides, and in the most current pic it looks like it has changed to concave. I have made only one other blue besides the stilton I'm working on now, but I thought it should only be growing blue-green mold, and yours seems to have quite a bit of white (p. canadidum maybe?)

Knoal

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Mark,

Yeah, heck if I know! :)  My inocculant was the 'cave aged blue cheese" from Trader Joes.  Who knows whats in the bacterial mix. :o

Nice eye on the convex vs. concave.  I'm keeping it in big tupperware with a cup of water so I've got the humidity.  It does seem to be dipping some light brownish liquid.

I'm assuming the p. canadidum won't hurt anything (me)  I've tasted some of the outside crust.  No ill effects yet...

Knoal

MarkShelton

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »
Its not smelling like ammonia is it? It's still firm with no give in the crust?
The only experience with p. canadidum was my failed attempts at camembert. All came out with slip skin (toad skin) and were so foul-smelling of ammonia they were immediately taken to the dumpster outside. I believe (at least) one of my problems was too much moisture. Hopefully yours won't suffer the same fate. The brown liquid is a little disturbing, but if it tastes good (doesn't make you gag and retch) thats a good sign. Post pictures when you open it. When do you think that will be?

Knoal

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »
Uh....

Yes, it has smelled like ammonia (slightly) the whole time.

Crust. No.  It's been soft the whole time. I didn't salt it or anything.

I'm trying to wait until the end of April to open it.  That will have been 8 weeks.

Waiting with baited breath,

Knoal

Brie

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:12 AM »

As I posted in Mark's thread, you can expect a multitude of colors and molds to grow on a stilton--they will die down. The tan is perfectly normal, expected, and a sign that you are on the right path--the white molds are to be expected, as well.

Knoal

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 01:49:50 AM »
Thanks for that Brie.  :)

I like the marbles.

Knoal