Author Topic: pH meter--recommendations?  (Read 2927 times)

JoannaCW

pH meter--recommendations?
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
I'm having problems with dry, grainy cheese and think it's acidity related.  I'm looking into purchasing a pH meter and feel rather overwhelmed by the many options and the many solutions which seem to accompany the digital pH meters--cleaning solutions, calibrating solutions, buffering solutions...how many of these do I actually need?  I'd like a fairly simple, easy-to-read machine, and I'd like to be able to purchase it and whatever solutions it requires for under $100.  Any suggestions?
thanks,
Jo

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: pH meter--recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:26 AM »
There are a few mentioned here that are around $100. I'd suggest a pH 4 and 7 for testing.

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:56:17 AM »
As far as pH meters go, they get progressively expensive as user-friendliness goes up. I have done a lot of searching for one in my winemaking endeavors.
On one hand, you can get a relatively cheap one for probably $50 or so that will give a pretty accurate +/-.1 but won't compensate automatically for temperature (you'll have to consult a chart to determine the the amount to add or subtract from the reading depending on how far the temperature is from factory calibration). It won't have a built in thermometer, which is useful. It will require 2 different buffer solutions to accurately calibrate it (buffer solution=calibration solution) which you will have to do manually with a jeweler's screwdriver. Under regular use, it will have to be replaced every 1-2 years.
On the other hand, you can get one for $175 that will be very accurate +/- .01 to .02 with automatic temperature compensation (ATC), will automatically calibrate itself using one buffer solution, waterproof, floating, built-in memory, replaceable electrode (so you don't have to replace the whole unit when the electrode gets old) and/or other features which may or may not even be useful.
Of course there are laboratory grade instruments that can be upwards of $500 that will do far more and be far more accurate than any hobby cheese- or winemaker will ever need or want, but I think that the $50-150 range is appropriate for casual users.
I made the mistake of going cheap on a pH meter and I got what I paid for... not even a year later, I'm dissatisfied with its performance. I'm planning on getting one that is much more capable.
At the very least, get one that has ATC. Most will include small vials of buffer (usually 4 and 7). Push-button calibration is another huge plus.
Here are a few from my notes that you might want to check out:
Hanna Instruments HI 98127 and HI 98128
Sper Scientific ATC pH Pen
Oakton pH Testr

MarkShelton

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »
Oh, and if you're in a bind and need 2 buffers of known pH but you only have one, a fully saturated solution of cream of tartar (from the grocery store) and distilled water has a pH of 3.56
Just mix a few teaspoons of cream of tartar with about half a cup of water. As long as there is undissolved powder on the bottom after you stir thoroughly, you should be good.
(This isn't a buffer though and shouldn't be used to store electrodes)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:42:47 PM by MarkShelton »

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
Joanna, lots of great advice from Mark.

I bought a cheap one off of EBay here in USA for USD24 in 2008, it reads out to 0.01 and has ATC and is calibratable but came with no solutions and I have never calibrated it ::). It works fine but ATC doesn't seem to work well as I get different readings on milk as I warm it from fridge before adding starter culture etc.

In summary I am also thinking of buying a better one, lots of posts in this Board on different ones that members have bought.

Some more info in our library here and here, and here.

Good luck!

JoannaCW

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »
Thanks all! You've given me a lot to think about.
One more question: if I buy a Hanna pH meter, do I also need to buy Hanna calibration, cleaning and storage solutions, or can I buy cheaper off-brand solutions?

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »
Any solution set will do. Get at least the 7 and 4.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
Wow, John. You really need to calibrate your meter. You could be off by .3 or more and not even know it. Especially with inexpensive meters.

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:43:31 AM »
Yep Sailor, agree. Good thing I just use it for readings and not for markers which is what I should use it for, one day I'll graduate to making cheeses using pH points ;D.