Author Topic: Humbolt Fog  (Read 3424 times)

velward

Humbolt Fog
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe that resembles Humbolt Fog with  the ash line and rind? ANy suggestions on where to fing one?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Humbolt Fog
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »
I know there' one here somewhere that Brie posted but I can't find it!

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:41:23 AM »
A humboldt fog is a lactic-coagulated curd, like chevre, with the ash, and coated in a p candidum mold. Make a standard chevre, with the ash/salt in the middle, sprinkle with ash, salt (2% total), and spray with candidum or add candidum to the milk. Age on the cool side -- there's just a thin liquefied layer on the outside of humboldt fog. It's a complicated cheese because it is remarkably well drained, even for a huge 5-pound wheel of it. I suspect one of the tricks is to stir the curd or turn the edges of it to expose the center, so that the wet curd is exposed to the outside and drains faster.

velward

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Thanks, I love the cheese and since I have the goats milk all of the time, I thought I'd make it instead of buying it!

Brie

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:57:05 AM »
Humbolt Fog Recipe
I love this goat cheese that is made by Cypress Grove, and have a decent replica using goat milk from Trader Joe's:
1 gallon goat milk
1.4 tsp. CaCh
1/4 tsp. Flora Danica (C11)
Charcoal Ash
1/4 tsp. liquid rennet (or equivalent)
P. Candidum/Geo Combo
Method:
Heat milk to 78 (FH), add CaCh & flora. Let sit 2 minute and stir gently to incorporate. Ripen for 30 minutes. Add rennet and allow 60-70 minute for firm curd to form.
Scoop half the curds into two Camembert Molds and lightly dust with Ash. Pack rest of curds into molds and prepare sandwich mold for each. Flip molds at regular intervals for 25 hours, until whey is no longer visible. Mix 2 tsp. cheese salt with 1/4 cup ash. Dust all parts of cheese with mixture. Spray cheese with atomized P. Candidum/Geo and store at 50 degrees and 80 RH.  Re-spray at day 3.  White mold should develop within 5-10 days--flip when it develops on one side to allow it develop on other side. When white furry friends are prevalent, wrap and age for 2 weeks and enjoy!

velward

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
Thanks so much. I have made my own ash from black walnut wood. I wonder how much the type of ash affects the taste?

Brie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 01:23:22 AM »
I hope we'll find out how your ash tastes--that should be interesting! Here's a pic of my Humboldt--I love the stuff!

velward

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
Beauuuutiful! Makes my mouth water. I can't wait to try the recipe you posted. Thank you . My does just started kidding so I'll have fresh milk very soon.

Brie

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
Just looked back on my recipe, and I actually use 1/4 tsp. CaCh, not 1.4 tsp--you may not have to use any with fresh goat milk!