Author Topic: New addition to the herd  (Read 2639 times)

MrsKK

New addition to the herd
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
I decided to look for a new foster calf for Buttercup to help bring up her production and also as a relief milker for me, especially for when we take our trip to South Carolina.  Yesterday, I found an ad on Craigslist for a Jersey/Milking Shorthorn 1 week old bull calf.

It was an 80-mile (one way) trip, but Frank and I haven't been out for a drive in some time, so we were game for it.  This little guy was well worth the drive and the $25 we paid for him.  Very healthy, kept in a pen on the outer edge of a shed, so exposed to fresh air.  The pen was almost a foot deep in clean, dry straw and the little guy was bedded down with two buddies, one of which seemed like he wanted to come along, too.

Rachel has named him Chupa-Chup, which is Spanish for lollipop, because she says he is so cute and sweet she'd like to eat him up!  We'll call him Chupa for short, though.  Chupa is very calm and laid down in the box we used to transport him.  He only peed once in there by all appearances and wasn't stressed by the long trip home at all.

It took a little bit to get the idea through that milk comes from a cow and not a human's hand, but once he latched on he was an instant pro.  Butter tried to kick him off a couple of times, but I gave her a little rap on the front of her leg with the cow cane, then held the cane across the fronts of her ankles while Rachel helped the little guy get latched on.  Butter wasn't happy, but she did stand well once she realized I wasn't going to put up with any nonsense.

I only allowed him to nurse from one quarter and not too long, as I wanted to prevent scours, but he managed to take about a quart (she came up that much short from what I expected), so he was pretty efficient.  I plan on putting him on for a bit again this morning, then milk her most of the way out, then allow him to finish up.  I think that is the best way to keep him from overeating to start with and to also encourage her production to increase.

I'll get pictures next week when it is supposed to be sunny and dry and get them posted.

FarmerJd

Re: New addition to the herd
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
That sounds great, Karen. He can strip her a lot better than you can and that helps her production. It is nice to have a calf around to do the milking when you can't be there. Do you plan on using him for breeding later on or just sell/butcher him?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
Congrats Karen. Sound like a great little guy and will be very helpful. $25 for a calf is an good price for a healthy calf.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
We'll be making him into a steer and will keep him around for at least a year and a half before butchering or selling him.  He's eating well, but I have to be really careful with him or he'd try to take everything she has - then I'm sure he'd end up with the scours.  So far, so good.  I probably won't have him strip her out for at least a week, though, because her cream is so rich.  Even then, I'm not sure.

Holstein calves right now are going for $50-110 depending upon their size when born, but the Jersey and other smaller crosses go for much less.  I like the smaller ones, though, as they fit into our small farmstead much better.  If I'd ended up with a Holstein, I would have just sold it at 6-8 weeks old, but this guy will be a keeper for us.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
Do you have a picture of him yet? I know I am strange but I love cows and calves are so precious! I have a bunch of pictures in my phone of my dairy ladies cows and calves.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
The sun actually came out today and I took the camera to the barnyard - just to discover that the batteries were dead.  DD was supposed to try to get pictures at evening chore time.  If she got any good ones, I will post them soon.

He seems to have a contracted tendon on one back leg, as he stands on the toe of that foot and limps just a little bit.  It doesn't seem to give him any pain and I think that this will resolve with more activity.

The cow's still kicking him off, though, so we have to supervise feedings.  I think she'll come around soon and fall in love with him like she did her last foster calf. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »
aw poor little guy. He'll be okay.