Author Topic: Mozzarella Attempt #3 - HELP!  (Read 4650 times)

making mozzerella

Re: Mozzarella Attempt #3 - HELP!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »
Ok - I'll try that - how long should I nuke it each time?  Like 30 sec on high, kneed, 30 sec, etc. . . repeat, repeat until it starts to get stretchy?  Will that really work?
(I was hoping to avoid the whole microwave option but I think it's my last hope for this batch)

More importantly, are there any sure fire tips to getting a stiffer curd?  My attempt #4 failed as well - curds were a little stronger but when it came to the draining and then heating in hot salty water phase, everything just go so loose and fell apart.  I used a whole gallon of non-homog milk, 20 drops of liquid rennet, distilled water, fresh plain yogurt as my starter.  I'm still determined to get this done correctly.

MarkShelton

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 12:20:43 AM »
I still worry that you're using milk that is too old. What is the "sell by" date on the milk. I have had much success using regular old Dean's. I think that about 15 days is the life span of milk before it has to be sold, so if the "sell by" date is only a few days away, the milk is probably too old. Processed milk deteriorates quickly (I forget who I learned that from here on the forum).
Plus, it'll be a little easier on your wallet while you get the kinks out of the cheesemaking process.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
Ok - I'll try that - how long should I nuke it each time?  Like 30 sec on high, kneed, 30 sec, etc. . . repeat, repeat until it starts to get stretchy?  Will that really work?
(I was hoping to avoid the whole microwave option but I think it's my last hope for this batch)

30 seconds should be good if you have a high power setting. It will look kind of droopy like it's melting. At this point I think it may be the only option left. Knead it until it starts to get stiff and re-nuke it. You may have to evaporate off some of the whey/water before it starts to firm up. It should be well drained firs and dry.

More importantly, are there any sure fire tips to getting a stiffer curd?  My attempt #4 failed as well - curds were a little stronger but when it came to the draining and then heating in hot salty water phase, everything just go so loose and fell apart.  I used a whole gallon of non-homog milk, 20 drops of liquid rennet, distilled water, fresh plain yogurt as my starter.  I'm still determined to get this done correctly.

have you tried this milk with any other cheeses?

catseatnit

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 01:19:04 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't understand why organic milk is bad for cheesemaking.  I use clove organic and it says it is not ultrapasteurized.  Seems to work fine with CaCl. 

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 02:14:32 AM »
I don't think anyone is saying organic milk is bad per se.  I think the problem is organic milk is commonly ultra pasteurized which ruins it for cheese making.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Did you ever notice that organic milk seems to last longer in the frig? That's because they are usually ultapasteurized.