Author Topic: 11 week old tomme  (Read 4835 times)

iratherfly

Re: 11 week old tomme
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:30 AM »
Really??? That's very good to know!!!
Yes, I did wash the curd. Perhaps I should have cooked it instead so that it remains in its own whey for better pH balance?

I do remember distinctly that I got a very soft break for the curd so I waited and waited, hoping for it to get harder to no avail. It must have been 7x 18 min. floc time I logged for this one for me to give up and cut the curd as is. I may have put too little rennet. Anything to do with that?

Missy Greene

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »
Hey Iratherfly, didn't we make tommes at the same time?? around Feb 2nd? Did you open yours yet?? Mine are sort of sticky and also smelly..... one of them is kind of shrunken around the middle.....anyway, am trying to get up the nerve to try one...By the way what kind of vacuum s
ealer do you have?? I have been reading reviews and they are so mixed regarding the Foodsavers..any suggestions?Thanks Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:18 AM »
Hey Missy! It's been a while! I made my Tommes January 26th. The first was finished with beer and wasn't good - it just dried out completely and became hard grating cheese. The second is the one you see on the previous page of this thread - finished in Syrah wine "drunken cow" I labeled it Tomme de Syrah... It came out very well! Try yours, I think it's time...

For vacuum, I use a small thing called Oliso for vacuum packing. I would NOT recommend it and never buy it again! It uses propitiatory ziplock type bags that are suppose to be reusable. The bags are neither cheap or easy to find, nor reusable. The thing loses vacuum seal within days and you have to re vacuum it constantly until the bag is destroyed from all your repeated vacuuming. I must have changed 5 bags in the 2 months that this cheese was aging. The only reason I got it is because of its compact size as I do live in a NYC apartment and space is at a premium... If I were you, I would go for a FoodSaver (lookup online reviews to find which model seem to work best for all). If you intend to do more than casual use around your facility.... than perhaps get a commercial type. I remember a few threads here about this

Tom Turophile

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
Wow, that second pic really looks like the "real" thing (Drunken Goat).