Author Topic: Ph meter or paper?  (Read 1710 times)

Oberhasli

Ph meter or paper?
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »
I have struggled with mozzarella to get consistency and stretch.  I guess its time to invest in a Ph monitor before I waste any more milk.  Any suggestions on which is better a meter or paper?  I use goat milk and have heard that the acidity varies during the lactation cycle.  I have read older threads on the production and realize I have had no clue as to the acidity level of my goat's milk. :o

Bonnie

FarmerJd

Re: Ph meter or paper?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »
Paper doesn't measure precisely enough. You need something that measures to .01. Look on the main forum page and scroll down to equipment and there are already several threads where this was discussed. Here is one; and here is one I started. Here is one that answers your question about strips. And one more here. There are others but this will get you started. I bought the extech 500 and it was great. Good luck.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:45:57 AM »
The papers are almosst worthless for cheese making. Don't waste your money.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
Completely agree.  Get yourself a pH meter.

Oberhasli

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
Thanks Farmer JD and all for pointing me in the right direction to read previous posts about the subject.  I admit - I'm not much of a techno-type (I don't twitter, tweet, text, facebook, or blog)  :-[.  So, it does take me a bit to navigate around on a new site.  Thanks for the help.  I guess I will take the plunge and invest in a pH meter.   I haven't done enough research yet, but I will start looking.

Bonnie