Author Topic: Mark's Parmesan - 031310  (Read 4727 times)

vogironface

Re: Mark's Parmesan - 031310
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:55 AM »
Mark,
I cooked them for about 20 minutes once they reached temp.  However, my temp was real slow getting there.  They were probably 20-30 minutes to long all time counted.  I used 2 gallons of skim and 2 of 2%.  Not ideal I know, but it is what I had.  Do you suppose the skim is what made the yield so low and the texture rubbery?  I would not call it an old tire.  In fact they were good to eat, not squeaky but firm.  After the pressing when I trimmed the pimples off they were quite rubbery and chewy.  I tire may not be far from the texture.  :)

MarkShelton

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:28 PM »
Well that's good! I kept getting that image, or the image of chewing on an un-inflated balloon when you said rubbery, but firm is good. While you may have cooked them a little too long, I don't think it was a disasterous amount of time.
I'd say that the skim milk had a part in the matter also, as well as the reduced yield.
Did you eat the little nubs (pimples) after brining or air drying, or just out of the press? After brining and drying, the rind can become quite hard and pretty rubbery I would suspect also.

wharris

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
My yields are usually 22lbs for 24 gallons of milk. 
I used all 2% milk.