I made my first Edam today. Making the cheese went relatively smooth. Managed to maintain temps, PH, and the curds looked really good. What was challenging was the "pressing". I had bought a simple press some time back-- but I have been challenged as the pressure is not constant. As the cheese shrinks, the spring loses tension, and the pressure changes. So I decided to buy some weight plates to build my own "press" to provide more constant pressure.
I moved the cheese to the mold, added the weight, tried to level it all out (me on the floor with the weights, cheese mold, and a level was quite the site). I finally got it settled and went to the living room to sit for a few minutes. As I kind of anticipated, I heard a crashing as the weight shifted and the plates crashed to the floor. I tried balancing it, but never could get it quite right. After fussing with it, I went back to my press for the night.
I have some ideas for next weekend--I'm going to build out a platform for the weight -- but for now, I have to just monitor the press.
It's funny. I'm getting much better at making the cheese-- now I have to master the art of "pressing". Always the challenge!!