Author Topic: Making my first Edam  (Read 1236 times)

Cheesetart

Making my first Edam
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
I made my first Edam today.  Making the cheese went relatively smooth.  Managed to maintain temps, PH, and the curds looked really good.  What was challenging was the "pressing".  I had bought a simple press some time back-- but I have been challenged as the pressure is not constant.  As the cheese shrinks, the spring loses tension, and the pressure changes.  So I decided to buy some weight plates to build my own "press" to provide more constant pressure. 

I moved the cheese to the mold, added the weight, tried to level it all out (me on the floor with the weights, cheese mold, and a level was quite the site).  I finally got it settled and went to the living room to sit for a few minutes.  As I kind of anticipated, I heard a crashing as the weight shifted and the plates crashed to the floor.  I tried balancing it, but never could get it quite right.   After fussing with it, I went back to my press for the night. 

I have some ideas for next weekend--I'm going to build out a platform for the weight  -- but for now, I have to just monitor the press. 

It's funny.  I'm getting much better at making the cheese-- now I have to master the art of "pressing".  Always the challenge!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Making my first Edam
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
The balancing act can be a PITA. I have been rudly awakened many a night due to cheese pressing crashes!  ;D

Cheesetart

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
So far the cheese itself is looking good -- I had added some of the spice mix that I got from the Pollen Ranch -- and it has a fabulous aroma.  But as I suspected, the cheese press didn't quite do its job last night and I am left with a slightly lopsided cheese.  As long as it TASTES good, all will be well.  I have it soaking in some brine right now.
I'm taking Friday off to stay home and watch basketball -- so while I am home the "extra" day, I want to get two batches of cheese going. (I can't sit and watch TV, I have to be doing something)  I'll have to give some thought to my challenges with the weight plates and see what I can do to account for "leveling" things out.   I'm really excited to have the extra day this week -- my plan is for a Dill Havarti -- not sure what I will do for the second cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
Ah Dill Havarti is one of my regular makes! We use a lot of that cheese here.

We recently had a few threads going on Havarti and there's one step a the end that really makes a big difference in the mouth feel of the cheese. I tried it and it does make a difference in the texture.

After pressing the cheese put it in a plain water for 3 to 6 hours. It will feel kind of slick when it's done. Wipe it with paper towels  then put it into the brine. It will be absolutely perfect.

Jim Wallace at NE Cheese has a tutorial Here whatever recipe you use - use his last two steps except for the time. I think if I would have left my cheese in there over night it would have disintegrated! Christy had the same result.

Good luck!