Author Topic: Raclette Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 16213 times)

LadyLiberty

Raclette Cheese Making Recipe
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:32:58 AM »
I'm having no luck finding one on the "google machine"

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Raclette Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:23 AM »
The google machine? I won't comment.

How bad do you want it? I just returned a book to the library that has it in....never mind I found it. Check your mail box.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:05 AM »
LL, Lady Liberty just posted a recipe in another thread, you should check it out.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:12:32 AM »
LL, Lady Liberty just posted a recipe in another thread, you should check it out.

Wow, I must be psychic or something.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:25 AM »
Or you could pssss  you are so chic...get it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »
Also, there is a Raclette cheese making recipe in this book.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:07 AM »
Here's on I've had  for awhile - don't even know where I got it. I have NOT tried this recipe, so maybe someone who has made it can comment on it.

Raclette

Ingredients
2 gallons whole cow's milk
¼ cup fresh or 1 teaspoon powdered, mesophillic starter
¾ teaspoon liquid rennet mixed with ¼ cool water
Salt brine: 4 cups salt in 1 gallon water
Bacterial linens

Warm the milk for about 30 minutes in a double boiler until the temperature reaches 88° F. Slowly stir in the mesophilic starter culture, blending it well throughout the milk.  Cover and set aside to ripen for 1 hour.

Blend the rennet into the ripening milk.  Allow the rennet to work undisturbed for 1 hour, or until the curds show a clean break when tested with a knife.

Cut the curds into ¼-inch cubes and allow them to settle to the bottom of the pot, as the whey rises to the surface.

Before you begin foreworking – stirring the lukewarm curds before cooking – heat about 2 quarts of water to a temperature of 140° F. Maintain the water at this temperature for washing the curds later.

Slowly stir the curds with a large ladle or spoon. (This will dispel more of the moisture and prevent the curds from sticking together.)

Skim why from the surface of the curds with a measuring cup, keeping track of the amount as you go.  Replace the drained whey with an equal amount of the water you've preheated to 140° F, and gently stir the curds as you add the water, until the curds reach a temperature of 100° F.  Be sure the temperature doesn't rise above 100° F, or your cheese won't solidify properly.

Continue to stir the curds for another 30—45 minutes and 100° F until they firm up.  Then set the pot aside and allow the curds to rest for another 30 minutes.

Tilt the pot and carefully ladle or spoon the excess whey from the curds.  Then set the curds aside to acidify for 1 more hour.

In the meantime, prepare brine by blending 4 cups of salt into 1 gallon of slightly warm water in a large pot or stainless-steel basin.  Gently stir the solution for about 5 minutes before you allow the contents to settle.  You should be able to see a layer of salt at the bottom, which means that the water is completely salt saturated and ready for the freshly processed raclette.

Place the raclette in the brine and allow it to float for 12 hours, turning once after 6 hours of soaking.  Remove the cheese from the brine and pat dry with a clean cheesecloth or buttercloth.

Transfer the raclette to a rack or cheese mat and allow it to air dry for an hour.

Add 1 teaspoon of bacterial linens to 1 quart of water, in an atomizer.  Shake well.  Spray all surfaced of the raclette and place it on the cheese mat or rack in the refrigerator or a cool room (55° F and 85% humidity).  Allow it to rest for 2 days, turning once each day.  On day 3, spray the cheese again.

You should now be able to detect a slight reddish-brown mold.  Allow the raclette to age for another 2 months, as it steeps with flavor and forms a natural rind.  If you prefer a cheese with a stronger flavor, give it an additional 2 months.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
What is to be done between tilting the pot and letting to acidify and preparing the brine. At least one step is missing, hooping, pressing or not, etc.

SueVT

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
Here is what I do.  This is basically Danisco's formula. (the link to my Raclette blog entry is in another post today, if you want to see the results)

For 3.5 gal raw milk :  Starting pH for me is 6.8.

Heat to 90 degrees F.

Innoculate with 1/2 Pinch Choozit Alp D LYO 100 DCU/1000 l  (this is a small amount, under 1/8 tsp)

Ripen 60 - 90 min until pH 6.5

Rennet:  1/2 tsp liquid rennet in a small amount of cool water. 
Setting time:  15 - 18 min
Coagulation time:  30 - 40 min.

Cutting:  pea to hazelnut size

Stir:  25 min

Draw off 25% of the whey

WASHING (with clear water): 
    pH before Washing:  6.35 - 6.40
   Add 25% of the volume back with clear water, heated to 140 degrees F.
   Temp should be at 100 degrees F ("scalding temp")

Stir 10 min

Prepress under whey for 10 min

Press in cheesecloth-lined mold at 10 lb. only

Brine for 1 day in saturated brine bath

pH after brining:  5.2

Let the surface dry

Affinage:  b linens in 3% salt solution - smear
Smear twice on the 1st and 3rd day.  After day 5, smear every 3rd day.
Store at cave temp (52 F) , RH 90 95%

At the end of the first month the cheese should have a rather dry smear.

Age for 2 to 4 months.

cheers,

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
Ah I started making this cheese  just before you posted the recipe. I went halfway bewteen 200 cheeses and the one I had found somewhere. Seemd like a big difference in times, instructions, pressing weight etc. It's pressing now. We'll see. As quick as this is I could do it during the work week.

Thanks Sue!

SueVT

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 04:18:10 AM »
Thanks Debi!  I am enjoying this forum, it is a lot of fun!
Sue

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »
and you fit in well! So what else you got up your sleeve?  ;)

SueVT

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:27:36 AM »
Well, tonight I made 2 large reblochon-like cheeses, but making them larger, I hope to be able to age them longer (60 days)... I used 3 gallons of milk to make 2 cheeses, put them in tomme molds with followers, pressing right now with 2 lbs weight.  Will brine in the morning.

I have a gruyere in the brine right now.... here is a photo from this evening, right before it went in:

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
Nice! That's a great cheese for adding to dinner veggies or meatloaf. Does overpowder everything.