Author Topic: Rennet - At Your Local Grocery Store  (Read 40819 times)

umgowa

Rennet - At Your Local Grocery Store
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »
I am a brand new cheese maker.  And am about to make my first batch.  I have been told that you can sometimes buy rennet at the grocery store in the pudding area.  Is that correct?  Also I think I recall someone saying you can get it is some department at Whole Foods.  Does anyone know anything about this?  It would be a lot easier to buy it at my local store than to get it on line.  Thanks for any help here.

velward

Re: Rennet - At Your Local Grocery Store
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
The junket rennet you can find in the pudding section is not at all like cheese rennet. I don't know about whole foods.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
While it may be easier to get at the store, my sense is that most folks quickly decide to buy rennet online.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »
I started out using liquid rennet I purchased online and when I got low and found it locally, I went to using Junket rennet.  It worked just fine for me, but that said, I am glad that I started out with "real" cheese rennet so that I knew when I needed to adjust the amount of Junket because it isn't as strong.

Walmart quit carrying it here when they remodelled, so I bought powdered calf rennet online.  The nice thing about it is that it doesn't deteriorate in strength, as liquid rennet does.

jackdag

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:39:53 PM »
Cheese liquid Rennet can be found in Natural Food Market

umgowa

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
While it may be easier to get at the store, my sense is that most folks quickly decide to buy rennet online.
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good web site to go to for purchasing rennet on line?  Thanks.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
Our listing of online stores here, some reviews here, they seem to all be good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:07:36 AM »
I used junket for years and still do on occation. It works fine but use should use 2 to 3 times more than most recipes list for commercial cheese rennets. I believe Whole Foods sells the stuff in the blue box. They do here anyway. I forget what it's called.

I usually order mine online from Dairy connection in the winter if I run out they sell the veggie rennet locally but I don't like it as well.