Author Topic: Goat Cheddar Aging Temp & Rind Questions  (Read 5892 times)

cmharris6002

Re: Goat Cheddar Aging Temp & Rind Questions
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »
In my experience it stays cleaner without the bandage. Mine often age over 10 months with little or no cleaning required. The natural rind is about 1/4 inch thick and I just trim it off before I sell it.

SANDQ

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
Hi Christy
By cleaner do you mean less mold? Im using a Carrol, cheddar recipe ( she says ) especially for goats milk, but I'm being told on this site it is not a true cheddar. I'm selling what I produce but I'm not happy with the end product, though my customers are. I have now switched to using raw milk which has a minimum 60 day aging time, my first ( test ) batches have all sold, but are not how they should be. I have made over 10 kg using the information I have learned from this site, but I am reluctant to make any more before I have got it right.
So in the mean time I notice you use use goats milk for soap and moistureiser, whilst Im waiting for my last batches of cheese to age, can you give me some ideas on what to do with my surplus milk ( apart from sell my goats ) There is a big expat British community here in Bulgaria, and an even bigger niche market, I can see the potential I just dont have the knowledge to fill it, can you help?
Thanks Q

cmharris6002

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
Yes, I mean very little mold at all. Just a light brushing keeps then looking really nice. I use raw milk too.

Have you ever made soap? It is not hard to do and goat milk soap is so good for your skin! What kind of oils can you get?  Lard is good for soap making so are olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil and safflower oil and almond oil. Can you get pure Lye (sodium hydroxide) it is a powder often used as a drain cleaner you will need it to make soap. let me know what you can get and I'll help you with a formula :)

SANDQ

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »
Thanks Christy, no I haven't made soap before, most of the oils you mentioned we can get here, I will try to source the lye in a few days and will get back to you, thanks   Q

SANDQ

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
Hi Christy
I went to my local hardware store today and got lye ( sodium hydroxide drain cleaner ) When I told the store owner it was  making soap she informed me that here in Bulgaria they use caustic soda ( the recipe is even on the packet ) and lard, then they add a fragrance which the store also sells.
Anyway I have come home with 100 grms of lye and 100mls of soap fragrance ( bouquet ).
So, I am ready to have a go at making soap, so keenly await your help.  thanks Q

cmharris6002

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
Yes, caustic soda is another name for it here too. Okay, it sounds like you are ready to go. Since this is off the topic of goat cheddar let's move this conversation to the 'Other Artisan Crafts' board Here Just start a new topic and I will reply and help you.