Author Topic: Why ladle curds? - Stilton  (Read 8046 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Why ladle curds? - Stilton
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:08:30 AM »
a 15 gallon stilton WOW!

FarmerJd

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »
I just hope it is not a 15 gallon waste. :-\

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Is it blueing up JD?

FarmerJd

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 04:29:15 AM »
Yea a little. Not covered though. I know the problem is humidity being too low (around 50%). I got a new freezer with defrost function to put my cheese in and I have not figured a way to raise humidity yet. The cheese does not smell blue cheesey right now; just musty, My kids and wife say they will certify that I am crazy if I eat this.  ;D   

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
Looks good JD. Could have a little more blue, but looks like the early salting and pH aren't too much of a problem. I put my blues in a small rubbermaid container with an inch of water in the bottom. The cheese is elevated using eggcrate held up with stainless screws. I keep this at 60-68F for 4 or 6 weeks before transfering to my cave.

FarmerJd

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
I failed to mention that I have a johnson thermostat on the freezer set at 55 degrees. I did not want someone to think I was freezing my blue. :)  Thanks for the advice Sailor; I'll try it if I can find a container big enough.

Brie

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:49:14 AM »
Sounds like they are going great! Here's what you have to look forward to! The light stilton is 5 weeks old and the darker is at 12 weeks. Lots of colors and molds going on to begin, which will settle down. Can't wait to taste mine!

MarkShelton

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
What's with the marbles?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
Mark,

Notice how rough the surface is on Brie's cheeses? That's the way they should be. You do not want to "smooth" the surface of a Stilton after you pull it from the hoop.

MarkShelton

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »
I'm NOT supposed to smooth the cheese after I un-hoop it? I don't understand. Is this going to interfere with the way the cheese develops? I thought all the commercial stiltons were smoothed down.

Majoofi

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »
I was confused by this smoothing business too. The recipe in Riki Carol's book says to smooth and I've seen a video of a Stilton factory where they smooth them right out of the molds, but any good looking Stilton is very rustic looking.

Brie

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 12:45:22 AM »
Actually I do smooth my stiltons after hooping with a wet spatula to settle in the loose areas. I love the many molds and colors that develop over the ripening period--so much to look forward to as they die down and create a wonderful crust. As Sailor always suggests, don't let them touch water, but keep humidity high. I also taken them out of their confined containers and let them breathe every few days.
As for the marbles (I believe, at times, I'm losing mine! Actually it is my dining room table with a glass top that has an alcove beneath to fill with whatever I like. I chose marbles.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »
Of course you don't want any gaping holes. Otherwise, smoothing is just a cosmetic choice.

If made properly, it will meld together well enough without any intervention. After it ages, you will be amazed how smooth the interior turns out.

Brie

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 02:54:53 AM »
I agree, love the rough surface and the nooks and crannys--either way it works with the right temp, RH, and TLC. My daughter made a comment once that my blues smelled terrible--I reminded her that she was talking about her brothers and sisters and should be mindful of their feelings...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 04:11:16 AM »
Marks tagline is right on target.

"I am constantly in awe of the very first people that consumed these things, despite how funky looking and smelling they had become."

I find that the nastier they look, the better they taste. This ain't your mama's Gouda.