Author Topic: Norwegian Lactic Acid Cheese Making Questions  (Read 1709 times)

LingNoi

Norwegian Lactic Acid Cheese Making Questions
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:10:10 AM »
Hi

I tried to make my first cheese 3 weeks ago from raw cowmilk. I made 2 soft and 2 hard cheese. I taste both of them to day and they taste grate already:).
But i also try to make a old Norwegian cheese.
Its made from skimmed (without fat) sour milk (i am not sure that's the right name in English). To make the milk, I was told that i have to keep the raw milk in refrigerator for one night and then remove the cream on the top. After that i should leave the milk overnight in the livingroom. Then i suppose to get the sour milk.
Next morning when I look at it, it already Had build a curd so i tried to use it.
I cut the curd, dry it and leave it in room temperature for 2 days (according to resepee). Then i add 1/2 ts salt and 1/2 ts cummin. After that the curd should stay warm for 2-3 days more. And then 3 weeks in the refrigerator to get finish.

I don't remember the taste anymore. Its more than 30 years since i eat this cheese last time, but my question is. Do you think the curd i used was OK since i was not able to get the sour milk first?. This cheese is not made with rennet or starters.

Thank you in advanced

Cheese Head

Re: Norwegian Lactic Acid Cheese Making Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »
LingNoi

I don't know Norwegian cheeses or which one you are making, but it sounds like a simple lactic acid coagulated cheese. Most people add a mesophilic lactic acid starter, either buttermilk or clabber or manufactured to accelerate the acidification and forming a soft curd rather than just using the natural microorganisms in the milk. But, as you got a curd after left overnight it should be sour.

Thus you should be OK, but if in doubt then let your body be the judge, does it smell OK, and small taste OK, especially as it sounds like you are using raw milk. Pictures and more details would help, how did you "dry" cheese.

LingNoi

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:27:58 AM »
Acctually my Norwegian cheese do good :). It's stored for 3 weeks now and are not finish yet. In old days in norway they store this for a year before they eat it. But thats to heavy for me. I store it for 2-3 weeks more, then its going on top on freshly baked bread with homemade butter :)
Here is a picture

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
That looks good!  What is the flavor like?

LingNoi

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:56:10 AM »
It have a rich taste and have a smell of fresh bread dought. The tast will develop much more the comming weeks