Author Topic: New Here  (Read 1731 times)

Mary

New Here
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:04:56 PM »
Hi, I'm new here. I live in Ms and like it alot. But...from the Cajun Country Louisiana.  :) Love Ms. have moved from La. 11 years ago an it's only 55 miles from home. That's cool 8)
I have chickens, milk goats, dogs, cats, and quail not to mention all the other.
Love to cook, bake and sew. But, would love to make some cheese. Will try when I get all the things I need to start one day soon. Anyway glad to be here!   

Cheese Head

Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
Hi Mary in Mississippi, welcome to the forum!

You can make some cheeses without any special ingredients or equipment, have fun with your new hobby.

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
Welcome  :D Sounds like you have quite a collection of animals.
So what kind of cheese are you interested in? I've found that "all the things necessary" amounts to much less than you'd think, and much less than some places will try to sell you. As for me, I'm getting way past the point of what is necessary... ;D but if you can't spend a little money on your own pastimes, then what can you do?
Have fun!

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
Hi Mary, and welcome to the forum. What part of Miss. are you from? This forum is a great place to learn. Good luck.

Mary

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
I'm wanting to make some hard cheeses. But that will be down the line first Mozzarella.
I live in Tylertown.
Great to be here! Think I have learned lots of things already.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
Hi Mary, Moz is a very difficult cheese, as shown by the posts in the Pasta Filata Board. I've only tried once (& failed), I think Mrs. KK's method is popular, good luck.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »
Welcome aboard Mary! I do not recommend mozzarella anymore as a first cheese. Many people here seem to have a great deal of trouble wth it.

A soft cheese would be best to start with to get the feel of how things work.

Mary

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
I think I'll start with soft cheese.  Any recipes to start with?

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »
Hi Mary

In my link above there are some recommendations and links to recipes that use standard off the shelf ingredients, I like Queso Fresco. The first non-normal ingredient you will need is rennet. I found some Malaka brand in coincidentally the refrigerated cheese section of US Whole Food Market grocery chain, but I had to phone 2 stores before I found any in stock.

Otherwise you'll need to order some, in which case you could order other stuff as well. Once you get some rennet then I'd go to American Neufchatel (light cream cheese) and then as you have goat's milk, Chevre or to a hard pressed cheese but then you'll need a mold.

Assuming you'll be using your own goat's milk, for fresh cheeses you'll need to think strongly about pasteurization first.

Hope other milk goat owners can chime in here.

Have fun!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »
You could even start simpler with a lemon cheese which only requires milk lemons and the herbs of your choice.

MarkShelton

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 07:06:06 AM »
I just made a paneer today from some leftover milk. Its pretty much lemon cheese, only I think the temperature is higher. I didn't do any herbs though. Still very enjoyable.