Author Topic: Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels & Port Salut  (Read 6179 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels & Port Salut
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:15:06 AM »
I picked up 9 gallons of raw milk Thursday night after work and made Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels on thursday with the first 7 gallons then a port salut last night with the last 2 gallons and mixed in 2 gallons of whole store bought milk.

Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels is a creamy skimmed milk cheese with buttermilk added. In Dutch it means cumin cheese with white bottoms. It was designed as a way for the farmers in Holland to use up the skimed milk after they made butter. It's sister cheese is called Leyden. Both are made exactly the same way until pressing time. the Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels  is made like a sandwich where only the middle layer gets the addition of cumin seeds and caraway seeds kneaded into the curds. Anise, fennel and cloves are also sometimes added. I used cumin, caraway seeds and fennel pollen on this one.  I believe Sailor mentioned ths cheese at about the same time I was developing my recipe - well I finally made it!

Once the cheese has been pressed and brined it is dried for a few days then gets a coat of red color on the surface, this is normally either annatto coloring or a red plastic. I used annatto.  This chesse weights 10.5 pounds. It will age for about 3 months.

Port Salut is one of the cheeses I tried a few months back for the Whole Fods store. The only one I really liked. I decided then I would figure out how to make it. This is a soft creamy 30-40% fat cheese with a mild yet rich flavor and a red b. linen rind similar to muenster. It's rind should develop after about 10 days. This cheese weighs about 5.5 pounds. It will age for about 3 weeks. 

Both cheese were presed in  the el Cheapo tomme mould from Dairy Connection.

Brie

Re: Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels & Port Salut
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:29 AM »
Wow--the first looks like a popsicle! Can you forward on that recipe?

MarkShelton

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
do you brush on the annatto? and yes a recipe would be awesome!

Alex

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
Wow, is the red only Annatto?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »
The red color is only anatto and it's not diluted. I tried diluting it and could not get the bright red color I saw in the pictures of this cheese. Maybe that's why they use plastic in the stores? I babbed it on with a papper towel. When they say they paint the cheese they aren't kidding!

I will have to clean up the recipe a bit it is still in Dutch -english traslation and kind of funny to read.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 03:35:48 AM »
OKay as promised here is the recipe for the Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels!

Boeren-Leidse Met Sleutels - Holland
"Boeren-Leidse met sleutels" is a semi-hard farm cheese with a fat content in the dry matter of at least 30% and at most 40%, robust so hard, sliceable and, with age, suitable for grating, prepared from semi-skimmed milk which has not undergone any pasteurising heat treatment and to which cumin must be added during preparation.

Ingredients:
2 gallon Whole Milk   
6.5 ounces of butter milk (5% of milk volume)   
1/8 teaspoon MM100   
1/16 teaspoon LH100   
1/16 teaspoon TA 61   
Rennet per manufactures instructions   
Salt   
Lightly toast seeds in hot skillet   
1/2 teaspoon Caraway seeds   
1/4 teaspoon Cumin   
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon Fennel Pollen, anise or cloves   

Procedure:   
-Heat milk, buttermilk to about 86°F.    
-Add culture let rest on the surface for about 5 minutes to rehydrate then stir in for about 5 minutes.   
-Add diluted  rennet per manufacturers instruction and mix for about 1 minute.   
-Once clean break is achieved cut curds to about 1/2  let rest then cut to grain size.
-Heal (Rest) curds for 5 minutes.    
-Stir curds gently for 15 minutes.   
-Drain about 1/3 of the whey and replace with enough 140° water to raise temperature to 92°F   
-Stir curds for about 20 to 30 minutes allowing the to firm slightly/   
Drain another 1/3 of the whey and replace with enough 140° water to raise temperature to 100°F   
-Stir for another 15 minutes or until the curds shrink to about 3/4 their original size and feel firm yet springy.    
-Strain curds over the pot to retain whey in a cheesecloth lined colander.   
-Separate curds into two cheese cloth bundles.   
-Add herbs to 1 bundle of the curds and mix well.   
-Dip both bundles of curds into the whey to reheat.   
-Place half of the plain curds into the bottom of a cheese cloth lined mould then add  the curds with the herbs.   
-Put the remaining plain curds on top so that you have three layers like a sandwich.
-Press cheese for 30 minutes with about 8 pounds of weight.   
-Flip the cheese and press again for 1 hour with 8 pounda weight.   
-Flip the cheese and press overnight with 16 pounds weight.   
-Mix a 20% brine and soak cheese for about 6 hours or  overnight.   
-Remove from brine and allow to air dry for several hours.   
-The rind of the "Boeren-Leidse met sleutels" is coloured red using annatto and/or treated with a red/red-brown coloured cheese rind treatment product. cheeses weighing three kilograms or more are kept for at least 13 days at a temperature óf at least 53° and not more than 60°F. Recommending aging time 3 months.   

Sorry typo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:40:12 AM by DeejayDebi »

Brie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:14:11 AM »
Sounds awesome, Deb--I think I may try this weekend. I see you've already incorporated the fennel pollen into your recipes--you go girl!

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 05:42:25 AM »
Thanks for the recipe. That looks a very interesting "built" cheese. It worth to give it a try.
Caraway seeds, until now, only one Havarty.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:45 AM »
I don't know if I mentioned it but I toast my seeds in the skillet then squish them up a bit in the mortar and pestle. I don't like to bite into big seeds in my cheese.

The smell of the cumin is really strong at first but calms down after a day or two.

SueVT

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »
That is so cool!  Where did you learn about this cheese?
Sue

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:17 AM »
That's a LOT of starter culture for just one gallon of milk. I only use 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
Sailor- Sorry should have been 2 gallons. I made a 7 gallon batch had to reduce the numbers. I normally use 1/2 teaspoon of starter for a 7 gallon batch. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

Sue - I learned about this cheese while looking for DOP documents last fall. Just got around to making it. So many recipes not enough weekends. I still have about 30 recipes to test.

clherestian

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
Do you have to add cream to the port salut?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:28 AM »
Not if you use whole milk. I used raw milk that has a 5% fats content so I don't expect any problems in that respect. The milk should be between 2.9 and 5% for this cheese.