Author Topic: You've GOT to try this! Best Cheese I ever ate! Caciotta del Filetto Rosso  (Read 7631 times)

padams

I bought a couple of packets of saffron in the store's mexican spice section......79 cents for an ounce.  of course, it looks more like marigold stamens than crocus stamens.....I know it won't give the same taste, but it will give a similar color, and I am kind of excited to try it before I invest in some expensive stuff. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
There is more than one type of saffron. Saffron from Spain is of the highest quality. Then there's the saffron from India. The Indian safrron is cheaper and different in flavor. Spainish saffron goes for around $15 a 1/2 gram.

There is also a powdered version that I see around every now and then that is mixed with tumeric and not very good. There is also a US and Mexican variety that is not even saffron but safflower which comes from a daisy and has no flavor but does add a nice yellow color. I think that is what you have.

BigCheese

I agree. Definitely not going to get any flavor from saffron that cheap...

padams

hmmm....Thanks!  flavor is not so much the issue for me at the moment, but it will be nice to have for the coloring.  I guess I will have to get some of the good stuff so I can make this cheese! ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
I find it only takes about 5 or 6 strands to flavor a 7 gallon batch or cheese when using quality Saffron. I have found a few places online that seem to have good prices but still pricey. I am hoping for the lady at the local health food store to come through. She said she has a filed full of purple crocus near her yard.

Maybe we need to ask sailor about growing these things he seems to have a way with flowers!

padams

Hey,...I like that idea, Debi! >:D

Sailor Con Queso

So saffron comes from crocus stamens? I've got tons of crocus, but they only last a few days in really early Spring. Now if you want orchid stamens, those I've got in abundance. Or I have about 300 tulips in bloom right now. How about tomato pollen?

BigCheese

And the kicker is that you only get 3 strands of saffron per flower...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Apparently it's a violet crokus. I wonder if they are similar to the yellow ones I have all over my yard. They are my favorite flower. I love yellow and they just give me spring fever when they finally pop out after a long winter.

Yeah the fact that they only have three stamins per flower is what makes them soo expensive. That and their short life span.

Anyway to grow them say hydroponically so they don't know it's not spring? Maybe put them in the cool basement then outside?

Sailor Con Queso

Crocus bulbs are easy to force in a bowl of marbles with water (a simple form of hydroponics). I have them blooming inside every February for Valentine's Day. They still have a VERY short lifespan - only a few days at most. When you force bulbs to bloom in water, you generally use up all their energy reserves and they usually will never bloom again, or will at least take a few years to recuperate. So this would be a horribly expensive way to get safron.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Wow. I didn't know that. Marbles huh? Pretty neat idea. I guess we have to wait until next year to grow saffron then. I have some on order from saffron.com Only $25.95 for 5 grams. The also had some coffee, peach and pistachio extracts for a good price. Can't wait to try those! Coffee and peach Biscotti coming up!