Author Topic: Drunken Goat Pics (Cabre al Vino)  (Read 7028 times)

Brie

Drunken Goat Pics (Cabre al Vino)
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:10:55 AM »
Attaching pics of my Cabre al Vino--the cut one is 4 months old, which I thought would be a little beyond it's prime; yet it was wonderful with a dash of clover honey and fresh sliced fig. A bit hard; yet when placed in a warm oven for a few minutes it blossomed and yielded a great taste and texture--much better, indeed than the one I cut at 2.5 months. The cheese beneath is another Cabre that is but a few weeks old.

mtncheesemaker

Re: Drunken Goat Pics (Cabre al Vino)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
Looks and sounds delicious!
Pam

cmharris6002

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Very pretty!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:23 AM »
Very nice looking cheese Brie I love the color too!

Missy Greene

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
Hey Brie, that cabra al vino looks great. Mine did not respond well to the vinegar and salt  scrub to remove the mold..they are growing away. I thnk it is because i did not get a smooth surface on the cheese when putting it in the mold...now that  have made a gouda and have experienced molding the cheese in the warm whey, it seems like a good way to do the cabra. Did you vacuum seal yours??? it looks so good.....envy!! guess I should try it again.
 Missy

Brie

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:21:38 AM »
Hi Missy--I really just followed the Webmaster recipe on this site for Cabre al Vino--it's perfect and I have made it at least 3 times with no problems. The only adjustment I made was to soak in wine 3 times at 12 hours with 12 hour intervals at room temp to dry off a bit. I used the goat milk from Trader Joes, if that's any help.

Brie

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
Geez, Missy, I didn't even answer your question--no mold growth at all with this cheese, and I've never had to wash down at all--surprising, because I have had to do that with most of my cheeses. All were caved at about 52 degrees, along with 30 other varieties. I do put the white and blue molded cheeses in containers, which helps. Still, many of the others sprout mold sooner or later--but not this one.

Missy Greene

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
thanks Brie,
 did you vacuum seal yours?  i am wanting to try a cheese with blueberry wine( a local thing) so was thinking of trying
 the cabra that way or maybe a tomme au marc with blueberry wine and squished up (thawed) blueberries..any suggestions?anyone??
Thanks, Missy

Brie

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »
No vacuum sealing--stored at 80 % RH at 53 degrees. That blueberry wine sounds like it would go wonderful with this cheese--love to see the colors!

Cheesetart

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
I battled mold for a few weeks with mine -- I washed it regularly. but it still continued.   Finally -- after a month -- I vaccum sealed it -- getting ready to open it this week to see how it has progressed!

Missy Greene

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
I ended up chucking my first cabra's they got so moldy... and got some poile du chat mold on them..i did cut them open though and they looked like they should on the inside... i had washed then with salt and vinegar, and a brush several times and it just kept coming back. so here is a maybe dumb queastion, if you going to vacuum seal a cheese, do  you still keep it at the suggested temp aand humidity?? i would think the vacuum sealing would keep the humidity stagnant????? thanks ..didn't get to the new cheese last week...maybe this one will keep you posted.
 Missy

FRANCOIS

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
I have two comments:
1.  Using a wine that is high in sulphites will help keep the rind clean, as will adding a few campden tabs to the wine bath itself to keep it fresh.

2.  Vacuum sealing locks in your moisture so humidity is not an issue. 

Cheesetart

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 01:06:46 AM »
I cut mine this past weekend.  A bit drier than I would have liked, but overall the texture and flavor was really good.  While it was a fight to keep the mold away, it was worth it.  Vaccum sealing is what saved it -- I will try this one again!

Missy Greene

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:20 AM »
thanks for the info. made the new Drunken Goat today and will try it in Blueberry wine...it would be cool if the rind has that squished up blueberry color.  Will lllet you know..in about two months or so!
Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 05:36:50 AM »
That sounds yummy Missy. Did you see my drunken cow in the Tomme thread? Opened it on the weekend after 65 days of aging, posted photos.
What's the blueberry wine like? Like Ice wine? Is this a desert wine?