Author Topic: Drunken Goat Pics (Cabre al Vino)  (Read 7029 times)

Missy Greene

Re: Drunken Goat Pics (Cabre al Vino)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
those look so good! makes me want a good glass of red wine and good company, and this good salad I am eating with fresh greens from the hoop house and lovage just coming up and chives. You forget how delicious salad can be...
 so I just put my cabra in the blueberry wine.... I am happy because I now know that I didn't cut the curds small enough last 2 times and they did not come together very well hence the mold growth  in all of the cracks, out of control. this one is completely smooth.  Blueberry wine is more of a dessert wine, not what I really like to drink BUT I really want to use something local to Maine and I think the color should be great. Am thinking about gearing up to try Brie's Humbolt Fog again. Just hooked up the old fridge out in the barn with the thermometer gadget that keeps the temp at 50-55, as now the office is too warm! This is totally off this thread but I also just started making cajeta.it is delicious!!
 More later..Happy Spring Everyone,
Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 07:18:48 AM »
They are! I love your life!
Here is a simple and oh-so-good recipe for drunken goat and tomatoes salad from one of my favorite chefs, Jose Andres on his great PBS show Made In Spain (This is better watched on video) http://www.josemadeinspain.com/recipes/drunkenGoat.htm

As for your technique - I felt the same way but I actually related it to overdraining in the cheesecloth colander and not to the size of curd. The curd size will seriously affect the results of your cheese. Small curd will yield harder drier cheese (like grating cheese) that will need more salting and aging because there will be little liquid to maintain the traffic and growth of bacteria and its food and the eventual protein breakdown by the enzymes.
On the Goat's Pettit-Tomme I did yesterday I attempted to do larger curds (I want soft Tomme and possible eyes) but I formed it under whey and it really tied it nicely together into a smooth form.

Ooooh Cajeta!!! I had some in Mexico last year. It's a lot like Dolce de Lecce, isn't it?
Happy spring. It's 5 more days until I do my cheese tastings in Paris!

Missy Greene

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
I had thought about loading the cabra into the mold in the whey as with the gouda, but had forgotten that you add salt to the cut up curds before you mold it. and i figured that the whey would wash away some of the salt.......... we'll see what happens.  Made cajeta with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 maple syrup last night..little different consistence put tastes really good!
Missy

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
What I did was first put the cheese in heavy brine (20%) (4 hour per Lb. each side) and let it dry for 2.5 days - as usual.

I Then mixed an entire bottle of wine (Syrah in this case) with salt and CalCl to make a medium (15%) "wine brine" that wouldn't wash the previous salt off the cheese or deplete if of its calcium and strength. Again, 4 hour dip per Lb. per side and dried for 2 days.

I then returned it to the wine brine (which I kept refrigerated) and did one more dipping and drying cycle for a second layer of wine.

Then, I vacuumed the cheese and then just turned it every few days. Opened at day 65. 

Alex

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 05:15:01 AM »
What I did was first put the cheese in heavy brine (20%) (4 hour per Lb. each side) and let it dry for 2.5 days - as usual.

To get an average of 2% salt content, 4 hour per Lb should be in total not per side, unless otherwise specified.

iratherfly

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »
Well, it tastes just right, not over salty. Do not know if there is any effect on its maturation due to over-brining, the cheese seems fine. Perhaps it was pressed and knitted tightly enough to slow down the penetration of brine? Perhaps it only affected the outside of the cheese?