Author Topic: Penicillum candidum & Other Molds - How Apply  (Read 3124 times)

vermontaise

Penicillum candidum & Other Molds - How Apply
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
Hi there, I looked around a bit on the forum to see if I could find some information on this.
I just received some dry mold in packages sitting in my fridge. So what do I do with them now. How do I apply them and how do I store them best? Any pointers are appreciated.

I am making mini-tommes which I would like to in-occulate with white mold.

Thanks.

Niko

mtncheesemaker

Re: Penicillum candidum & Other Molds - How Apply
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
I put my molds, blue, Geo and Penicillum, in the milk with the starter. You could mix it in the solution that you wipe on when you wash the rind.
I keep my molds in the freezer, except the blue.
Pam

vermontaise

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »
what quantity do you use?
I thought you had to re-wet the molds and let them activate, what is the ratio of water and mold powder and if you have some left over how do you store it once it has been activated?

Thanks for the heads up on mixing it into the milk - again how much are you using?

Best,

Niko

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:53:10 PM »
Hi Niko;
For my tomme, which is either 2 or 3 gal/ batch, I add a pinch of B. linens and a pinch of Geotrichum candidium at the time that I add my starter. I allow the powders to rehydrate on the surface of the milk for 3-5 min, then stir them in. I don't premix with water.
I do the same with P. candidum when I make cheeses like Brie, etc.
I have never had an issue doing it this way.
Pam

vermontaise

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
That's great. Sounds really simple. I will try this tonight, when I am making my next batch.
I will have around 10 gal of milk sooo 3 pinches each ;-) - I'll try a light 1/8 teaspoon.

I also have a bunch in the cave already, do you think I can change the mold composition by spraying them with a water/mold culture solution?

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
Yes, I think that would do it.
You can spray the mold on in a water solution. I've never tried it with a tomme. The trick is not to get the cheese too wet, so maybe let it air dry a bit before putting it back in the cave.

vermontaise

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how I make out with this.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 06:41:39 AM »
I always add molds to the milk by deluting in a little water. Keep them FREEZED.
How much to use? It should be mentioned on the packaging.

Tropit

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
A lot of recipes call for spraying the P. Candidum, but I have always had good luck mixing them with the milk at the beginning of the process.  It saves having to keep a spray bottle stored in the fridge.  All of my molds and starters are stored on the door of my freezer until ready to use.

~C.

vermontaise

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »
The spraying has not worked particularly well for me, now that I have tried a bunch of batches. Mixing it in seems to be the way to go.