Author Topic: Tome Mold - Follower Can Only Move Half Way  (Read 1885 times)

umgowa

Tome Mold - Follower Can Only Move Half Way
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:17:05 PM »
I am a new to cheese making and just got a new tome mold/press from the Dairy Connection web site.  The press is the smallest they had at 3 and one half inches high and 7 and one half inches in diameter.  I have a question about it.  The follower only goes down half way into the outside collar or sleeve (I'm sure there's a better name for it).  Therefore the only pressing that will get done will be in the top portion of the device.  I must assume, therefore, that this mold is only designed to accommodate curd quantities that will reach the top portions of the mold.  If anyone could validate this assumption for me, I'd appreciate it.  Also could you tell me why the device is designed with this built-in taper, keeping the follower above the half-way level.  Perhaps it's to avoid making cheese wheels that are too thin.  Thanks for any insights you can give me on this.

mtncheesemaker

Re: Tome Mold - Follower Can Only Move Half Way
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
You are correct. I use a minimum 2 gal batch, 3 is better.
As for why, I can't say.

Majoofi

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
Yeah, I had the same problem, Umgowa. I ended up sanding down the follower so it would fit deeper into the mold. It took quite a while, but now it fits and won't give me a lopsided cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
Interesting. That must be an inherent problem with the smaller molds. I have the same problem with my 450 gram kadova molds but not the bigger ones. I also have Dairy Connections larger tome mold and it does not have that problem.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:19 AM »
When manufacturing injection moulded plastic parts, should be a slight taper angle, 0.5-1.5 deg (sometimes even more) dependent of the shape, size and materal of the product. It's neede to eject the part from the mould.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
Have the same mold and same problem. I think they make the bottom narrower so when you flip and redress it will create a final shape that is more rounded on the side of the cheese. I managed to do OK with 2Gal batches on it. See my response to your other post with photo links.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
Make water pipe moulds and the issue will be eliminated.

iratherfly

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
yea, I am tempted too but I thought these are only good for hoops because they don't have bottoms. Besides, I am not too kin on PVC going anywhere near my food. Your method from your other post is better... use some food-grade tub and put holes in it