Author Topic: Cream Separator - Hand Driven  (Read 1449 times)

Offline SwissBrowns

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Cream Separator - Hand Driven
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with hand driven separators. I've got an old Lister which is in good condition. Yesterday I tried it for the first time, I washed the gearbox and put in new oil (sewing machine oil), and put in about 15 litres of milk, and tried it out. Talk about hard work, I only managed to make about a cupful of cream, and then I was stuffed. There's no way I'd be able to do the whole 15 litres. Is this normal, to find it so difficult, at first?

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline H.A.M.

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
Re: Cream Separator - Hand Driven
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
I've not cranked more than one or two brands...never a Lister.

We have this one http://www.allivet.com/Cream-Separator-p/50039.htm and find it easy to turn.  It takes a bit of effort to get it started and up to speed, but it's geared very well. Even my 5 yr old can turn it, although he isn't able to keep a steady rhythm. We often run 4 gallons through at a time and I change hands once or twice.

Offline Nitai

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Moo
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Hi H.A.M,

How much cream do you get approx. per gallon or per 4 gallons? I just got a Novo and the cream came out soooo thick that I get almost nothing from well-fed Jersey milk...

Offline H.A.M.

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
Swiss breed goats, 10- 16 lb milkers and I get about a pint of heavy cream per gallon. Heavy means it runs very slowly after being chilled and is sometimes not pourable.  :) More in late lactation. I can get more cream volume by slowing it down, but it's thinner. I'd rather have some left in the milk and heavy cream.

I'm not accustomed to a Novo, but my understanding is that they can all be adjusted and need adjusted for Jersey milk. Check with your manufacturer.