Author Topic: Cream Separator - Hand Driven  (Read 3278 times)

SwissBrowns

Cream Separator - Hand Driven
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with hand driven separators. I've got an old Lister which is in good condition. Yesterday I tried it for the first time, I washed the gearbox and put in new oil (sewing machine oil), and put in about 15 litres of milk, and tried it out. Talk about hard work, I only managed to make about a cupful of cream, and then I was stuffed. There's no way I'd be able to do the whole 15 litres. Is this normal, to find it so difficult, at first?

homeacremom

Re: Cream Separator - Hand Driven
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »
I've not cranked more than one or two brands...never a Lister.

We have this one http://www.allivet.com/Cream-Separator-p/50039.htm and find it easy to turn.  It takes a bit of effort to get it started and up to speed, but it's geared very well. Even my 5 yr old can turn it, although he isn't able to keep a steady rhythm. We often run 4 gallons through at a time and I change hands once or twice.

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Hi H.A.M,

How much cream do you get approx. per gallon or per 4 gallons? I just got a Novo and the cream came out soooo thick that I get almost nothing from well-fed Jersey milk...

homeacremom

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:53:42 AM »
Swiss breed goats, 10- 16 lb milkers and I get about a pint of heavy cream per gallon. Heavy means it runs very slowly after being chilled and is sometimes not pourable.  :) More in late lactation. I can get more cream volume by slowing it down, but it's thinner. I'd rather have some left in the milk and heavy cream.

I'm not accustomed to a Novo, but my understanding is that they can all be adjusted and need adjusted for Jersey milk. Check with your manufacturer.