Author Topic: Beginner Questions - Mesophilic Starter Culture Type & pH Meaurement vs Curd Feel  (Read 4071 times)

umgowa

I have my new tome press and am now ready for my very first attempt at cheese-making.  I am a little nervous.  I will be attempting to make a Gouda type cheese.  My question relates to the starter culture.  I know the starter culture is important in imparting the ultimate flavor to the cheese  . . should I keep it simple and use buttermilk for my starter culture?  Or should I go to a cheese making store nearby and buy some professional grade mesophilic starter culture?  Will I be able to notice any difference?  Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.   :-\

cheesehead

professional all the way is my view -

My philosophy on making cheese is that I want to control the flavor profile so when an unknown starter is used, who knows what will happen.  The culture is the heart of the cheese, why take a chance. 

I'd rather make predictable cheese then cross my fingers and hope for the best -- culture wise. 

I'm not saying it can't be done - I just saying my thoughts on it...and get a pH meter  :)

MrsKK

I would advise starting out with professional culture while you are learning about the process of cheesemaking, but once you are comfortable and know what you are looking for, you can do some experimenting,  IF you are comfortable with cheeses that turn out differently from what the original recipe usually results in.

I started out with cultures I bought, but have gone to using clabber and yogurt to culture all of my cheeses now.  I did have to try different yogurts and have been very happy with the Greek yogurt I make.  The flavor of the culture definitely influences the flavor of the cheese.

I don't use a ph meter, nor do I ever intend upon buying one.  But then again, I don't mind when the results aren't cookie-cutter each time.

Alex

I don't use a pH meter, nor do I ever intend upon buying one.  But then again, I don't mind when the results aren't cookie-cutter each time.

Karen, I am stoned ??? Do you think there is a possibility we are twins separated when being babies? The way we approach cheese making at home..... ::)

umgowa

I'm love the last two posts.  I am a newbie and would dearly love to completely jettison the whole idea of PH measurement.  I have two cheese books and neither one mentions the idea of measuring PH.  We've got enough anal retentive stuff to agonize over . . . with the type of metal out pots are made of, maintaining temperatures at specific levels for specific periods of time, gently washing, heating, rinsing and handling our curds, getting the right kind of press, made out of the correct type of material, aging in the right kind of environment at the right temperature at the correct humidity . . . . Enough already.  I can't accommodate any more little details . . . . We're not scientists.  I plan to leave PH totally off my radar scope.  Thank you Alex and Karen.

linuxboy

I I may offer an idea that may help...

If you don't use pH as an indicator, use your senses. By this I mean that curd as it changes in pH becomes very different. A curd drained at 6.0 isn't as "sticky" to each other, yet sticks a little, and one drained at 6.3 is more sticky and also more rubbery. It also tastes every so slightly different in texture and flavor (this takes time to develop, so don't worry if it tastes the same to you). It also springs differently in your hand when you squeeze a small amount of it. For testing when to stop cheddaring or when to start stretching a mozz, you can take a small piece and test for the stretch by putting it in hot water or the microwave. If it stretches moderately, stop salt, and mill the cheddared curds, if it stretches well, go ahead and stretch for mozz. All these indicators are repeatable and verifiable and more organic than the unsophisticated pH meter. Your brain is a far better indicator than pH :)

If you keep at it, you'll build up your confidence and will learn to associate what you can do to improve your cheeses. Taking notes helps.

padams

Beautifully stated, Linuxboy!

i am just a newbie, with only 3 semi-hard cheeses under my belt, but if you are paying attention, you can notice that subtle difference!

FarmerJd

Agreed. Well said Linuxboy. I compare it to knowing when to take up a grilled steak. It is kind of difficult to quantify but over time you just learn. It looks, feels, smells, reacts right. It is easier though to learn those subtleties with a ph meter in hand rather than proverbially burning the steak a hundred times. So I bought one in hopes of graduating to the point Alex and Karen are without throwing away 20 lb cheeses each week.

MrsKK

If I were making 20 lb cheeses, I'd probably go with the equipment, too, Farmer!

Linux - I never knew that test for when to stop cheddaring - maybe now my cheddar will turn out better.

I love this forum!

linuxboy

Karen, decent stretch starts at around 5.5. You want to  mill and salt at around 5.3-5.4. The huge, long mozz-type stretches happen at 5.2. So you can gauge by that. The curd should stretch for cheddar, but not to the point of forming huge 1-ft long thin strands. Should break after a little. And should have a nice squak when nibbled on -- that's caused by the acid, too.

MrsKK

Okay - I do the squeak test.  I'll add the stretch test to my repertoire in future batches, though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
I I may offer an idea that may help...

If you don't use pH as an indicator, use your senses. By this I mean that curd as it changes in pH becomes very different. A curd drained at 6.0 isn't as "sticky" to each other, yet sticks a little, and one drained at 6.3 is more sticky and also more rubbery. It also tastes every so slightly different in texture and flavor (this takes time to develop, so don't worry if it tastes the same to you). It also springs differently in your hand when you squeeze a small amount of it. For testing when to stop cheddaring or when to start stretching a mozz, you can take a small piece and test for the stretch by putting it in hot water or the microwave. If it stretches moderately, stop salt, and mill the cheddared curds, if it stretches well, go ahead and stretch for mozz. All these indicators are repeatable and verifiable and more organic than the unsophisticated pH meter. Your brain is a far better indicator than pH :)

If you keep at it, you'll build up your confidence and will learn to associate what you can do to improve your cheeses. Taking notes helps.

Well said Linuxboy! I have been trying to say that for some time now. Taste touch and feel your cheese it will tell you when it's ready.