Author Topic: Wax saved my cheddar  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Wax saved my cheddar
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »
I began my cheesemaking odyssey in January 2009. My first cheese was a Farmhouse Cheddar taken from Ricki Carroll's book. I made a lot of mistakes, waxed my first cheese, and held out hope that I'd have something edible in the not-too-distant future.

After a couple months I cut the cheese ;D into quarters, rewaxed three of them, and left one quarter out to sample. It was acidic, crumbly, and... not so great.

Over the next several months I tried two of the other quarters and had the same reaction...not so great.

Today, as I was throwing out a Gouda that had turned to something like Brie, I was going to throw out the last quarter of the Farmhouse Cheddar. I paused and decided to peel the wax back and sample it before I tossed it.

My first impression on removing the wax was the almost tablespoonful of moisture under the wax. No mold or other sign of contamination. The cheese was firm, not mushy, not crumbly. Okay. When I sliced it, the slice came away cleanly and didn't just crumble away. The taste was slightly sharp and that was to be expected because it was 15 months old. I tasted it with Triscuit crackers, then decided a glass of raspberry wine would be good with it. Yes. My wife said the cracker was good with dried apricot. I looked at the cracker with the cheese on it and said "Why not?". The next thing I knew I was tasting the cracker & cheese with a slice of dried apricot on it. Very nice. And a little sip of wine. Excellent!

So it would appear that the wax permitted moisture to be retained within the cheese and to transform it from a crumbly, acidic cheese to one with a smoother texture and more agreeable flavor.

Moral of the story: don't be hasty when tossing disagreeable cheeses. Wax does have its place.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

FarmerJd

Re: Wax saved my cheddar
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
Great post boofer! I am learning the same thing. I have several cheeses waiting to be rescued by aging. I hope that those in vacuum sealed bags have the same potential as those waxed.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:54:48 AM »
Boofer,

Crumbly texture is a result of too much acidity. Lots of ways to measure and control pH at various target levels during a make. Over time the pH actually goes up on most cheeses and the sour taste dissipates

Waxing or vac bagging just keeps the rind from drying out. Has very little or nothing  to do with the acidity created during the make.

If you don't have a good pH meter, get one. Take readings at the beginning, after ripening, after curd cutting, and at final draining. Take notes religiously. pH targets are really a big key to consistent results.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
Sailor - I did buy an Extech PH-100 several months ago, but I haven't yet made any cheeses or had the opportunity to use it yet. The cheese here was my very first.

I intend to use the meter soon, following the pH readings supplied here. I'm sure it will indeed help steer me in better directions.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.