Author Topic: not a goat but a cow =)  (Read 4374 times)

bec1986

not a goat but a cow =)
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:05:39 AM »
i would love to keep a few goats but im uselising my fathers property and last time i had goats i was about 6 and they ate my dads (vallient?) car really old and valuable they actually truely ate the car from the inside out in 1 night, a window was left open ~ i was told they ran away but we ate some really nice roasts that i was told was sheep......in hindsght i doubt it lol. goats have been an off topic ever since.

i have a holstein fresian cow (only eats grass lol) i milk twice everyday for milk, im also raising batches of 6 calves at a time from the milk following a early weaning schedule ~ nearing weaning of the first batch.
i have made feta , gouda, neufchatel (anyone know how to pronounce this?) riccota and of course yogurt and sour cream and several others that have failed miserably lol. worst failure so far was cheddar i spent four hours on last night only to over heat the curds and end up with something resembling mozzarella >.< (dogs got that 1)
cheese cakes are becoming my specialty im thinking of seeing if i can sell them at local cafe's.

if anyone has any ?? about how i handle my cow and calves i'd be happy to answer.
im also an aussie hence the 1am posting time lol its actually 10 am
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:14:33 AM by bec1986 »

Tea

Re: not a goat but a cow =)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
Ok well that answered a previous question I had.  What are you calling/mean by cheese cakes.  Just a word of warning, if you are not a registered cheese producer, it is illegal to sell (commercially anyway) your cheese.  Friends and family can buy (on the side) from you, but not otherwise.  Just check into this before you make any further decisions.

Had to smile at your goat story too, and yes they do eat cars, mine included, although it was old and not in use at the time, thankfully.

bec1986

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 03:28:24 AM »
Tea, i mean the dessert cheesecake not cakes of cheese lol. i dont think i will have any problems selling baked goods ~ will look into it though i live in a small town in vic Corryong our claim to fame is the Man From Snowy River. i know the local cafe owners pretty well and they have sold their own made cakes before but dont anymore because they dont have time.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:51:59 AM »
bec, while awful for your Dad and sad for that old Valiant, that was a fun story on your goat experiences :D!

Good comment on the time. As this is an International forum with participants from around the world, I've set the forum clock to Greenwich Mean Time. To show your correct time and all the other posts correct time stamp from your perspective, you need to go into your Profile's Look & Layout screen and in the Time Offset option add or subtract hours from GMT to get your correct time. I made a FAQ on this here, but the clock setting is buried two thirds the way down it.

Last I remember, so far, we have members here from New Zealand, Australia, Japan, India, France, UK, Canada, & USA!

Tea

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
Oh duh, talk about brain freeze.  Of course, cheesecakes, my bad.

I would look into the logistics of it first, as I know there was a question about my being able to sell pastizzi's because of the home made cheese ingredient.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »
OK, I asked a French friend here at work how to pronounce Neufchâtel, she says Neu-chatel as the f is silent and that it is named after a town in France.

bec1986

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
yay!! thanks CH i was totally mangleing that. hehe now i can tell the family what they been eating and see them try and work it out rofl. ;D