Author Topic: Starting small  (Read 2609 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Starting small
« on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »
I have a raw goat dairy in NY. I am starting my own cheese room. I am in need of some equipment but lack the proper name for it. Hoping someone knows.
Is there such a piece of equipment to regulate the temp and humidity other than a refrigerator or cooler. I am looking for something more professional.

MarkShelton

Re: Starting small
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:18:36 AM »
Are you talking about in a ripening room?
Here on the forum, we generally call anywhere we age cheese a "cave" whether it be a cooler, mini-fridge, commercial fridge, cool room, etc. The specific type of storage doesn't really matter, as long as you can control the atmosphere for the optimum ripening conditions.
As for equipment, I'm not sure, but I would say that for a commercial operation, a cool room, or a walk-in cooler would be what you are referring to. For that you'd have to consult with an HVAC contractor to make sure you get what you need.

TroyG

Re: Starting small
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
I have a 9x11 room that I hold at 50 degrees. I use a regular 18,000 btu window A/C unit connected to a Cool Bot. See it here http://www.storeitcold.com/

For humidity I have two Hygrometers I monitor, but I have to manually control the humidity. Not really that hard as I check the room every day.