Author Topic: Cheddar flocculation terribly long  (Read 9256 times)

linuxboy

Re: Cheddar flocculation terribly long
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »
Yep, good milk and pH. In that pic, I would guess Alex has it at 5.1-5.2. You can get huge, huge strands right before it overacidifies.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 01:05:57 AM »
Sorry I got confused Alex. That's a great stretch! Maybe we should split this into to threads?

Alex

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »
Nitai and Linuxboy,

It should be a matter of pH, but as a matter of fact I don't know what the pH was as I don't have a pH meter. I just followed a recipe and may be had some luck.

Debi,

I agree, It is on my schedule to open a new thread, because although this is only the second time I follow this 30 min kind of recipe, but fortunately two consecutive successes in a row.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 02:43:46 AM »
I have never had a failure with the 30 minute recpe either. It is a mild almost flavorless cheese but quick and works well with basil and other herbs. It can also be pinched off and aged quite easily.

Alex

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 02:58:08 AM »
Quentin,

You have to follow manufacturer's instructions about enzyme's doze.
Info about how to use the flocculation method, is described in Rennet Coagulated Cheese - Method #3. The suggested floc multiplier for Cheddar is 3.

SANDQ

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »
Alex thanks
I have seen the light!  I now understand the floc point. I more thing crossed off the need to know list. Can I know ask about PH levels and their Importance ?
Thanks for all your help  Q

Alex

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »
Sorry, I can't help you with pH levels, because I don't use this data. Nevertheless, I know it's especially important in Cheddar and Pasta Fillata cheeses. There is lot of discussion of this matter on the forum, so please run a search for this topic.
Although I am not experienced enough, I try to stay on the primitive side of cheese making like in those old days when pH meters were not available. As for you, if you intend to market your cheese, you should use equipment to ensure consistency and repeatability.

SANDQ

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
Thanks again Alex for your input,
I will try a search and see where it gets me.   Quentin

FarmerJd

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
Debi did a chart with ph levels on it for various cheeses. Not sure where it is; buried either in the threads or maybe the library. Good luck finding it. :-\

The_blue

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »
Debi did a chart with ph levels on it for various cheeses. Not sure where it is; buried either in the threads or maybe the library. Good luck finding it. :-\

Wouldn't mind a copy of that if anyone finds it.  :)

Alex

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »
Found it here
Scroll down.

SANDQ

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
Thanks Alex for that.
As soon as my good old mum sends me some ph paper Ill start working to the levels   Quentin

The_blue

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »

SANDQ

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
Im in the process of making my second batch of sheeps milk cheddar. My first batch was a failure, as it did not set at all. Since then I have changed my rennet to an animal rennet from a reputable cheesemaking suppliers, but I am having the same problem. I have added 50 drops to 10 L milk as per instructions, and after 45 mins I  still had no coagulation. I have now added an extra 50 drops and still no coagulation. At what point should I give up waiting or can anyone suggest what might be wrong as I am at a loss on what to do now.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
The only things that I can think of is 1) is your thermometer for sure reading accurately, and, 2) have you tried adding a little Calcium Chloride? I have had issues with late lactation milks and sometimes the CaCl helped.
Good luck.