Author Topic: Brain malfunction during cheese making!  (Read 571 times)

Offline mtncheesemaker(Pam)

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Paonia, CO
  • Posts: 677
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
Brain malfunction during cheese making!
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:48:36 PM »
I am making a tomme today; when adding the starter I grabbed the wrong container and added 3/8t Geo instead of the pinch I was going to add. I caught it in time to add the correct amount of starter.
I'm wondering what the effects of too much Geo will be. Will they take over or will they just kind of self-regulate?
Any experience with that kind of thing?


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.


Offline DeejayDebi

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Connecticut
  • Posts: 5,804
  • Cheeses: 95
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Brain malfunction during cheese making!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
Good question! Seeing it tend to be a surface mold I wouldn't expect it to hard the flavor of the cheeese. It shouldn't be a bitter cheese either as it will tend to reduce caused by peptides. I suspect you may get a thicker rind more brie or camembert like.

Keep us posted this could be interesting!

Offline iratherfly

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: The Cheese Caves underneath Manhattan; New York City NY
  • Posts: 1,913
  • Cheeses: 108
  • Cheese, milk's leap toward immortality (Clifton F)
Re: Brain malfunction during cheese making!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:56:30 PM »
Yea, I am sure it won't kill your cheese, just cover it with rough white mold. If you use heavy brine it would really slow down the growth. In any event, you can always wipe it off when you wash or rub the rind during aging. Another way to combat overgrowth is by introducing another bacteria into your wash that would compete with the geo over food and can survive higher amounts of salt.