Author Topic: Cracking Manchego...any way to salvage?  (Read 1208 times)

scubagirlwonder

Cracking Manchego...any way to salvage?
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:32:16 AM »
Hi all!

I have a half-wheel of Manchego aging in my "cave" (otherwise known as modified wine fridge) and have found that it is cracking! (The reason it is a half wheel is because it's diameter was too large to fit so I had to cut it in half)
I have been treating the small spots of mold with vinegar/salt which is working well, but now notice mold getting into the cracks...is there any way to salvage this? Should I wax it? Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks! ;)

Majoofi

Re: Cracking Manchego...any way to salvage?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
if the mold is blue or white I wouldn't worry about it. But I had a cheese crack a while back and did the vinegar and salt thing which helped with the black mold. I scrubbed furiously too. Later on in the aging the blue and white came back and moved into the crack. The cheese is delicious.

There are some famous cheddars (Neal's Yard) I've seen that always seem to have some blue running through cracks, and they're wonderful.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
Thanks Majoofi!

So far it does appear to be blue mold, so I'll stop worrying! Thanks for the info!
 ;D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
If it is a small crack you could clean it then seal it by rubbing it with a heavily salted brine water.