Author Topic: My first Colby  (Read 3435 times)

padams

My first Colby
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
Well, after much deliberation, and looking at multiple recipes....I decided it was time to make a colby.  I followed the recipe John has on this site, here are my notes:

1 gal.fresh whole pasteurized milk;
1/2 tsp CaCl
Heated to 88 degrees

tapped in 1/8 tsp MA
let it culture (covered and wrapped) for 60 min.

diluted 1/8 tsp rennet (5drops per qt, per pkg instructions) in 1/4 cup distilled water (room temp)
added 15 g flaked salt, stirred to dissolve
added to milk, stirred gently for 1 minute
backstirred to calm milk
milk was 84 degrees at this point

set timer for 10 min. to check flocculation.  Set bowl on, was already gelled.  using 3.5 multiplier, set additional 35 min. for curd set for a total of 45 minutes (recipe calls for approx. 60)

With a fantastic set, and 80 degree temp, cut curd to 1/2 inch cube and let settle for 10 min. 

Put pot in double boiler, brought to 100 degrees in 25 min (recipe calls for 30)

maintained 100 degrees for add'l 30 minutes

drained off about 1/2 whey, lowered the temp to 85 degrees with tap water (wanted drier cheese)
let set for 5 min.

poured into lined colander, salted with add'l 15 g flaked salt, packed into hoop and pressed for 15 min @ 20lbs,
flipped/changed cloth, pressed 15 min @ 30 lbs,  unwrapped, placed back in hoop and pressed overnight @ 50lbs.
Since I did not wrap the cheese the last time, a bit of it extruded thru my hoop holes (it was kinda cool).

My own mistake not to wrap such a moist cheese.  my plastic needlepoint followers that I put in the base of the hoop "melted" into my cheese at such high pressure, and had to be torn out this morning.  I really need some cheese cloth instead of just flour sack cloth for pressing.  because of the damage, it will have to be eaten fresh (I doubt it will last a full day)

My only question is this...it is VERY sharp!  The initial curds were very mild, and actually tasted like cheese, but this almost tastes like a very sharp cheddar ...the really old stuff!  I thought colby was supposed to be mild. 

Anyway, here are my pictures, and PLEASE pick apart my process.  One note tho...I have no intention whatsoever of buying a ph meter (I want to do it as old-fashioned as I can).  Other than that, Dissect Away!

p.s.....I apologize for the poor quality of color in the first 2 pictures.  my over-oven light is in a yellow hood, and casts a very yellow light even in the middle of the day!

MrsKK

Re: My first Colby
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
It looks good to me - even with the "wound" from ripping off the plastic mat.

I used old sheeting to make a curd sack that fits into my mold - FarmerJD gave us the idea here.  Unbleached muslin works quite well, too.

Keep up the good work!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
Looks nice hon. You did good! Nice photos too.

padams

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:11:48 AM »
Thanks Debi!  I made a 2 1/2 gal. colby last weekend that is waxed and in the fridge aging now....the fresh one got eaten all up!  I'm gonna try cream cheese (again) tomorrow....

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »
I like colby with chopped jalapenos! Yummmm!

padams

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
Ok!  It's 3 weeks since I put my waxed colby in the fridge to age....I just got a foodsaver, so I decided to peel and vaccum seal it.  There was a TINY amount of white mould...very minimum.  kinda like what you would see on cheddar that has been in the fridge for a while....

So I decided to do a tasted test  >:D(I couldn't help myself!)  and a melt test....AND IT MELTED!!!! (insert Handel's Messiah here)

However, it tastes more like a 1 yr cheddar than a colby!  It has a fantastic tang, and it will be sooo yummy when I cook with it.  I am going to let it age somemore, will more acid break down? Or will it just get sharper?

I can't wait to make another one!!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »

So I decided to do a tasted test  >:D(I couldn't help myself!)  and a melt test....AND IT MELTED!!!! (insert Handel's Messiah here)

You cracked me up with that one!  ;D  As it ages it will get sharper. Colby has a max time for aging. I find it goes from sharp to bitter after about a year.

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
I was given a Seal and Save for Mother's Day (how awesome is that?) and I've been busy cleaning up and sealing my cheeses, too.

Great job on the colby! I tend to prefer to eat the colby kind of "young" - around 2 months, and keep the cheddars for ageing longer.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:16 AM »
Colby is best at around 2 to 3 months. I have some that I let go to 6 but not more than that. It starts to go downhill from there.

padams

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:45:55 AM »
*sigh* 3 more weeks.... >:D