Author Topic: Waxing Cheese - Holder?  (Read 1319 times)

LoveLabors

Waxing Cheese - Holder?
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
I am a new cheese maker and I am having trouble holding the cheese to wax it.  I continue to drop it into the wax thus having wax splashed all over my kitchen.  Are there any tricks? 

JMB

Re: Waxing Cheese - Holder?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
how much does it weigh and what shape is it.  I always dipped half way plus a little bit further then set it undipped side on the table.  After a couple minutes to cool dip the other half plus a little overlap and set it on the cooled wax side.  Then repeat.  Usually only did 2 layers.  Cheese has to be a little dry on the outside for wax to stick but I usually prewrapped in shrink wrapped celophane first.  That's like a "Gladwrap" that you use a hot iron to shrink. 
Hope it helps.
J

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of info on waxing and sealing on the main forum board under "aging". Here is a link to a thread Wayne started with a tool he designed. There are other threads there as well. I always brush mine if I wax because they are too big (20lbs) to dip in a container. I just set them on a paper sack or cardboard and dip a paint brush in the hot wax. Not pretty but effective.
By the way, if you want to introduce yourself, there is a section for that as well. Feel free to tell us about yourself. This is a great forum and lots of helpful people here. Good Luck.

LoveLabors

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Thanks for the help.  My cheeses are usually around 4 lbs.  I did check out the great cheese holder and I think that will be something I will get my son to make in the very near furture.  I have been making goat cheese once a week for 4 months and the waxing will be much easier if I don't have to worry about holding it.