Author Topic: What are the security rules for carrying cheese on a plane?  (Read 32459 times)

marksto

What are the security rules for carrying cheese on a plane?
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
I'm going to be traveling several times this summer visiting family and may want to bring some cheese along. Not planning to check a bag and will instead be using carry-on luggage only. Does anyone know what the rules are pertaining to bringing quantities of cheese (waxed or unwaxed) on a plane?

MrsKK

Re: What are the security rules for carrying cheese on a plane?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »
It would probably be best for you to call the airline and find out what their policy is.  Sorry I can't be any more helpful!

Tom Turophile

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »
Getting through security is the issue.

In an issue of Culture magazine, the editor wrote that she couldn't bring some cheeses through because the guard considered them "gel-like".  They were thrown out.  However, her friend, who had the exact same cheeses, had no issues.

So, it's random.  There are no specific rules.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:33 AM »
I recently went to Atlanta with cheese and checked my bag, just to be safe. (Is there something weird about the airline/security system here?) Sounds like soon we'll be paying to carry on a bag!

Brie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:23 AM »
I posted a note in the forum a few months back when I carried 10 cheeses in a carry-on at the airport. Security flagged me for what appeared to them as "spherical specimens" in my luggage. I explained the cheese thing--they opened and examined the bag (I am certain they wanted to taste, as well)--and I was good to go. Phoenix, Arizona airport.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:53:51 AM »
When they pick you you have no choice. I can understand the posible concern. a block of cheese to an xray or whatever they call the new machines could look like C4 or something.

Cheesetart

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
I traveled from Chicago to Pittsburgh at Easter time.  I told my family to prepare to see me in the same clothes for a few days as I was bringing a carry on cooler of cheeses and homemade sausages and salami.  I was paranoid that the TSA would make me toss it -- but I wanted to try.
The morning that we were leaving, I again checked the TSA website -- and the only thing that really stuck out at me was that you could not carry "candles" on board.  I realized that I had several waxed cheeses in the bag.  I spent 20 minutes before we left home peeling the cheese off of my jalapeno cheddar and my gouda -- and then vacuum sealing.   The cooler was packed with multiple cheeses and sausages -- and as it went down into the x-ray machine I vowed that if the TSA stopped me from taking it on, I was going to leave the airport and hand it out to some of the homeless on the sidewalk before I would give anything to the TSA.  I held my breath, walked through the checkpoint with NO PROBLEMS.  My husband and  I laughed that if the plane sat on the tarmac for hours, we were going to eat cheese and salami.  After an on time take off, we got the cheese safely to family where they devoured it!  The return flight was delayed by 2 hours -- the two of us were sitting on the plane WISHING we had our cheese back!
So you can do it -- we proved it!