Author Topic: Mid-size dairies win consumers with less-processed milk  (Read 1495 times)

Tom Turophile

Mid-size dairies win consumers with less-processed milk
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/06/AR2010040600311.html?hpid=features1&hpv=national

"Oh, my God. The cream! You gotta taste the cream!" said Warren Taylor. "It's pale yellow. And it's got this amazing smell. You have to get some."

To say that Taylor, the founder of Snowville Creamery, is excited about dairy products is an understatement: "If you cut me, I bleed white," he likes to say. Taylor wants to elicit that same level of enthusiasm from everyone. It's why his milk comes only from grass-fed cows, which he believes creates a more vibrant flavor. It's why the milk is pasteurized for just 17 seconds at 165 degrees, as low as the law allows, to preserve that taste. And it's why the Pomeroy, Ohio, creamery has 24 part-time workers dedicated to handing out samples in grocery stores in the hopes of proving that all milk is not created equal.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Mid-size dairies win consumers with less-processed milk
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:47:12 AM »
That is good to hear! Now if the other commercial dairies would follow instead of this ultra pasteurized crap ...

cheesehead

Re: Mid-size dairies win consumers with less-processed milk
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
That is good to hear! Now if the other commercial dairies would follow instead of this ultra pasteurized crap ...

Alot of it is market driven - if you competitor is at 3 more days code because they bump up their temp a coupe degrees that often causes the others to follow suit.  Depends on who their market is I'm sure.  For fluid milk products - no big deal to UHT for me.

No commercial cheesemakers over heat treat their milk on purpose - you can't make decent cheese by heat abusing the milk - that's just not cheesemaking then.  Process cheese is another animal though.....