Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1510 times)

BigCheese

Hello everyone
« on: April 08, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Hello,

My name is Nitai. I am part of a small cowshare program in Northern California and we have begun making cheese as well. We use raw organic Jersey milk and have had a fair amount of success in our first session of cheesemaking. Now we are looking to hone in and really undrstand and craft our ideal cheeses. I thought joining this forum might help.

Thank you!

FarmerJd

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »
Hi Nitai, You are at the right place to hone in.

What sort of equipment do you have?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
Hello Nitai, welcome, have fun, lots of info here!

BigCheese

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
Hi Nitai, You are at the right place to hone in.

What sort of equipment do you have?

Well, the last time around I had two digital thermometers, a four-gallon pot, a 14" curd knife, a cheese press from thecheesemaker.com and a mold and follower that held about the curd from 4 gallons. And of course some stirring utensils and what not. I also have a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and an upright freezer and mini fridge with override thermometers.

When I start again in a month or so I hope to be doing 8 gallon batches in a hotel pan style pan. I may need to have it fabricated though. Then I will put it in a larger pan for a water bath and heat it all on my 6-burner stove. I am also going to have a PH meter, hopefully some nice molds, and a lot more knowledge and experience!

I live off the grid so that limits some of the tools I can use...Solar system is strained as it is.

As I mentioned we use all of our own raw Jersey milk.

Thanks for the welcome,
Nitai

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »
Do you have a wood stove or gas? Just curious because I sometimes use our woodstove to heat medium batches and it works very well because you can adjust the temp by moving the pot. I also use my own raw cow's milk from a jersey and a guernsey. One day I am going off grid too; or at least be where I can.

BigCheese

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:36 AM »
We have gas. When you go off grid, be sure to overestimate your usage! Grid tie in can be really great because you could hypothetically supply all your power, make a little money and avoid the nightmare lead-acid batteries.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:49:55 AM »
Welcome aboard Nitai

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:41:07 AM »
Hi again Nitai,

For the molds you can look at http://www.ullmers-dairyequipment.com/cheesemolds.htm

I am in the process of doubling my production. So far I worked with 8 litres of milk and now will try to increase that to 16 so that the cheese will be much bigger and actually worth the effort. I will also get a new press (or made one with a pneumatic cylinder and a steel frame) and some bigger molds from Ullmers.

Good luck.