Author Topic: Caciotta del Filleto Rosso-pics  (Read 4584 times)

scubagirlwonder

Caciotta del Filleto Rosso-pics
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
Hey all!
Here are a few pics from my first attempt at Debi's Caciotta del Filleto Rosso! The pics are of one of the wheels fresh out of it's mould; I just finished the first press (well, second technically if you count letting the curds rest under their own weight for 5 minutes...) The ground saffron I added to the curds during cooking gave the cheese an interesting swirly/mottled color and I love the vibrant red strands! I'll add more pics later as things progress!
~Cheers!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Caciotta del Filleto Rosso-pics
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
Looks nice! I broke up my strands and they hardly showed. I think you used alot more than I did too. Did you taste the curds? They are even creamy out of the pot. Let me know how it comes out. Mine looked a bit softer than yours but it should be close.

Here is my last batch a week ago. Trying some new molds. Notice the texture is softer/spongier looking?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:48:11 AM by DeejayDebi »

Alex

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:06:43 AM »
Everything's mouth wetting. Debi, can you post a pic of that new mould of yours?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:29:25 AM »
Alex the one with the lines is a manchego mold. I posted when I bought it (about 6 months ago). I will try to get another picture of it. It's hard to get a good picture of.

The second started in the tome mold and then was laid in a pan with round bumps to get the bubbly texture. As this is a very soft cheese it takes impressions well while it's drying. I also wanted it to spead some and become flatter so it would fit in my mini cave better.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:09 AM »
Thanks

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:40 AM »
Your welcome.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:35:40 AM »
Go to sleep, it's bed time by you :D

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:00:18 AM »
Looks nice! I broke up my strands and they hardly showed. I think you used alot more than I did too. Did you taste the curds? They are even creamy out of the pot. Let me know how it comes out. Mine looked a bit softer than yours but it should be close.

Here is my last batch a week ago. Trying some new molds. Notice the texture is softer/spongier looking?

Yours looks lovely Debi! I did taste the curds and they were sort of sweet and mild! I was surprised at how soft the curds were-I kept thinking I had done something wrong, but I just kept going anyway! Glad to hear it was supposed to be that way! I like the molds you chose, I am somewhat limited on my molds just because of the size of my cheese cave...what were your press times and weights?  Thanks for posting this recipe for us to try!Can't wait to taste this cheese!!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
It is a kind of fluffy cheese. Reminds me of marshmellows when you handle it at first squishy like. The molds I use made cheeses taller than what will fit in my cave so I let them spread some so they would fit in better. Also give me a wider cheese to share later.

Pressing time total was about 6 or 7 hours with about 25 pounds of weight. Makes a great pizza or mac and cheese with as you mentioned a touch of sweetness. I made some stuffed cannelloni with it the other night and it was fantastic. Didn't use any mozzarella at all just this cheese riccotta, sour cream, parmesan and romano.

Offline elmangomez

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
Hi Debbi,

This cheese sounds great. I am going to make one this weekend. Could I ask you a question... In your instructions, you mention you warm milk to 95 degrees, and then add culture and subsequently the rennet. You mention that afterwards, you slowly bring temperature up to 95 degrees over 20 minutes...

Wouldn't the temperature be already up to that already since you warmed initially and maintained the temperature?

I got a good store for the saffron... I am wondering  if I should try with raw milk, or with non-homogenized milk (from WholeFoods aka WholePaycheck).

Thanks a bunch.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »
El -

Thanks for pointing that out. Start at about 88F degrees then raise it to 95 F degrees.  I will try to find the original post and fix that. I have only made this with raw milk with a 5% fat content so I can't say what Whole Foods would be like other than very expensive. I have been tempted to make it from regular store pasteurized milk on my off week (I am committed to 9 gallons of raw every other week from my milkmaid) but it has been to hectic around here lately to make cheese every weekend.