Author Topic: Tom's First Camembert  (Read 1352 times)

thdewitt

Tom's First Camembert
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:53:12 AM »
So, I just made these four camemberts on Sunday.  This is only my second attempt at making cheese although I have been making beer for 20 years.  They are sitting in my ripening fridge.  It is currently at 90% humidity.  I have had the temp at 54 degree's but I heard that it may be better to keep in at 64 until the mold starts to develop.  Any Advice would be appreciated.  I can set the temp and humidity pretty easily.  I attached a shot of my first cheese a farmhouse cheddar for kicks.

Tom

MarkShelton

Re: Tom's First Camembert
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:45:31 AM »
I was thoroughly confused for a bit. I thought you had waxed a cam!

As I am still working on my first sucessful cam, I don't know if I'll be much help, but it seems like 64 would be too high. Mine went in to the fridge at 52. I can keep the temperature constant, but I am constantly fiddling with the lid of the aging container to keep a consistent 90% RH. How do you control your humidity?

thdewitt

Re: Tom's First Camembert
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:02:44 AM »
I have an Oasis Cigar Humidifier XL.  In the chest freezer with a Johnson controller I really don't need to do alot.  It is always about 90.  So it makes a good ripening cave.

In my aging cave/upright freezer, I have to put the cheeses in storage containers to keep the humidity right.  it stays at about 80.

Tom