Author Topic: Cheddar - Aging In Cold Kitchen Fridge?  (Read 1783 times)

Melissa

Cheddar - Aging In Cold Kitchen Fridge?
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »
Beginner cheddar cheese maker lacks good conditions for temp / humidity control. Panic set in and we turned to fridge versus too-warm/fluctuating basement. We're seeking average temp of 55 degrees - fridge is at 40-plus. Is this a bad move? Will it simply slow aging process down? Cheeses are now 3-6 weeks old. Obviously, we need a long-term solution, but what to do right now? Thanks.

MarkShelton

Re: Cheddar - Aging In Cold Kitchen Fridge?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
If you have a cooler (even one of the styrofoam ones) you could use it in the basement and it would moderate the temperature fluctuations. Check the temperature with a thermometer and set it up on a shelf or table above the floor if it's too cold. It would be better than a too-cold, drying refrigerator.
Just a temporary fix though.

BigCheese

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »
If you have the money, you can probably find a cheap fridge or mini fridge on craigslist in a matter of a few days (depending on where you live I suppose). Then pick up a Johnson thermostat at a brewing store or online, and your good to go.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:59:19 AM »
I found a wine fridge on craigslist for $30 that works wonderfully, the temperature is adjustable from 45 degrees (F) to 60 degrees. I only have to worry about humidity, which hasn't been too hard, just by adding a small pan of water in the bottom of the fridge...The only real modification I had to make with it was replacing the shelves-the originals were wavy shaped to accomodate wine bottles. I currently have 4 small wheels and two partial medium-sized wheels in it with a little room left for more!

MarkShelton

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »
I just got a wine fridge also, and had the same experience with the shelving. I made some wooden shelves to replace them, and it works like a dream.

Amatolman

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
I was thinking a wine fridge might be a good solution and then saw this thread :) Thanks for the affirmation.