Author Topic: Provolone failure  (Read 1313 times)

MarkShelton

Provolone failure
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
Like quite a number of other posts in this board, I had a pulled curd cheese that didn't come out well. Actually it didn't even get finished, alas, I think it's a lost cause.
I started a provolone 2 nights ago, despite all the troubles that seem to plague these types of cheese. I followed the procedure by Peter Dixon until the point of heating the curd in water to do the stretch test (to check for proper acidification), but it never reached a point where it kneaded together or stretched, not even the day after. I think I would have known a lot more had I used a pH meter, but I think mine is shot, and I don't trust it.
Anyways, here are a few things I might try if I decide to give it another go:
  • Add more starter - I know it's probably not recommended, but I don't have raw milk. All the milk I use is pasteurized, which kills a lot of the natural bacteria that would normally help acidify the curd. Alternately/additionally, I'd allow the milk to ripen longer.
  • Don't cook the curd as long - The procedure calls for cooking the curd until it is firm and springy, but I feel that it might too much whey being expelled. Without the whey, there is less lactose fuel for the bacteria to do their thing.
  • Use a pH meter - Well this is something I WILL do if I try this again. It's really hard trying to get a good result if I don't know what's going on with the curd in terms of acid.
  • Allow more time - Now that I know the procedure takes nearly 8 hours (I didn't read the procedure as thoroughly as I should have the first time)
Other than that, does anybody have any tips?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Provolone failure
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Your pH is probably too high, so YES, a pH meter would help. It is difficult to give good advice if you don't know what the pH is, but it probably isn't a loss yet. Let it sit at room temp (warmer if you can) and test for stretch every hour or so. Like Mozzarella , the pH needs to hit 5.3-5.4 before it will stretch. Without a pH meter, that's what you do - wait, test, wait, test.....

MarkShelton

Re: Provolone failure
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
Well, it's been sitting in the fridge for 2 days, but I pulled it out to warm up. I'll let you know if it is salvaged.