Author Topic: Knitting my gouda  (Read 7320 times)

MarkShelton

Knitting my gouda
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
I've made a few goudas now, and after cutting into one yesterday, found that the interior is not knit well again. I believe it is definitely mechanical, as I was meticulous with hygene. That, and when I can break the slices apart, and the edges are bumpy like a pile of curds.

My question is: am I pressing hard enough? I have read from multiple sources that gouda is lightly pressed, but the pressure apparently isn't enough to get a solid paste, even though the rind is knit beautifully.

Or is there something else that may be messing me up?

FarmerJd

Re: Knitting my gouda
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
I understood that gouda should be pressed at about 5 -6 psi. That's what i did. It was hard not to throw the whole weight on there! :)

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
Are you prepressing under the whey? Gouda is prepressed, then cut into cubes, then put into kadova molds which are stacked, and then pressed, a lot of time in an A-frame type press.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »
As LB says, Gouda is traditionally pressed under whey. However, you might consider using my "Pressing In The Pot" technique. I am so pleased with this technique, that I never press under whey anymore. I started this with my cheddars, but this works great on any hard cheese.

Pressing In The Pot

JMB

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
I have 1kg and 3kg kadova hoops.  In the past I went by sight on how long to press.  Now I have access to a vertical press. What psi should each of these hoops be pressed at.  I turn after a half hour and then press for another hour or more depending on what it looks like. 
Thanks
JMB 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
If you are using PSI and not weight then the PSI would remain constant regardless of the mold that you are using. I press Gouda at 3 PSI but some people here press harder to get a better curd knit. It sort of depends on how you are managing the curds just before pressing. If you don't do adequate "pre-pressing" then you will need more PSI to get a smooth interior texture. "Pressing In The Pot" makes that easier.

A total of 2 hours pressing is not enough unless you are REALLY using high PSI. I press overnight.

JMB

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
I am using actual psi now.  I use these hoops to make cheddars and monterey jacks too.  Does it take a differrent psi depending on which cheese I am pressing?
JMB

MarkShelton

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
@linuxboy - I don't quite understand the process of prepressing under the whey. I put the curd into a cheesecloth lined mold and put the mold back into the whey. I don't have any weights that will fit in my pot, so I just pushed it down firmly by hand for about a minute to try to expel any air that was in the curd. Not the appropriate method, I know. How long and how much pressure should I be using?

@farmer - 5 to 6 psi would mean that I am REALLY underpressing. I followed Tim Smith's procedure which calls for only 20# ( that would be 80# in my 8" mold , only 1.5 psi) I really need to get a different press. My spring type one only gets up to 80#. That, and I need to cross-reference my procedures. Even Ricki Carroll says to press @ 50# (202# for my 8"mold, or 4psi).

@sailor - yes, I've seen your pressing in the pot. I believe you easily got a nice, solid rind in a cheddar with little weight. I think I need to get some weights so I can do this also. Does the paste come out as well as the rind when pressing in the pot? I think I like this better than pressing under whey, as it is already in the mold and I wouldn't have to press, transfer, press again. But I will probably do both next time.

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »
When I was consolidating all the ideas and recipes on this forum and the info from other sources, I sort of took the middle road and went 5-6 psi because I could.
In commercial practice, Univ. of Guelph says the following concerning gouda pressing:

"Allow curd to settle, and press under the whey by covering the curd with steel plates for at least 10 min. In commercial practice this is accomplished by moving the curd and some of the whey onto a press table. When curd is consolidated under the plates, drain the whey and cut to fit cloth-lined hoops. Press at 14 psi for 5 - 8 hrs. with occasional turning. After first turning increase pressure from 14 - 28 psi. The pH after pressing should be 5.3 - 5.5."[/size]I am sure that's overkill just to reduce time and ensure knitting, but I think it shows that you can't press too much. Am I right?[/size][/font]

MarkShelton

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »
Wow! Yeah, if that's the normal practice with a commercial cheese, I'd say that I don't have to worry about overpressing! I think that's more pressure than I would have even considered for a cheddar. Good to know!

humble_servant7

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
Quick question-- how do you "press under whey" when using a dutch or off the wall-press considering that the cheese is in a mold?

Is there a way of specifically doing this?

Wouldnt the whey all leak out of the mold?

Or do you press the cheese in the S.S. pot with the whey in it?

I'm surprised that the wood touching the liquid whey wouldnt give off any type of bad bacteria that would contaminate the cheese.

MarkShelton

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Yes, I gather that pressing under the whey is done in the pot, before being transferred to the press. The whey would leak out, but air would not fill the pockets left by the whey, the curd would, resulting in a more solid cheese even before pressing in the press.

Wood touching the whey could transfer undesirable bacteria, flavors, and depending on the type of wood, even harmful tannins. That's why you should use SS or another food grade material for the follower and any other equipment and utensils coming into contact with the cheese/whey.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »
When I was consolidating all the ideas and recipes on this forum and the info from other sources, I sort of took the middle road and went 5-6 psi because I could.
In commercial practice, Univ. of Guelph says the following concerning gouda pressing:

"Allow curd to settle, and press under the whey by covering the curd with steel plates for at least 10 min. In commercial practice this is accomplished by moving the curd and some of the whey onto a press table. When curd is consolidated under the plates, drain the whey and cut to fit cloth-lined hoops. Press at 14 psi for 5 - 8 hrs. with occasional turning. After first turning increase pressure from 14 - 28 psi. The pH after pressing should be 5.3 - 5.5."[/size]I am sure that's overkill just to reduce time and ensure knitting, but I think it shows that you can't press too much. Am I right?[/size][/font]

This is virtually identical to our process for Gouda.  Our prepress time is longer and final press shorter but it's pretty darn close. 

humble_servant7

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
Yes, I gather that pressing under the whey is done in the pot, before being transferred to the press.

So you arent using the press to press inside the s.s. pot? only after transferring?

So I guess the next question would be Then what are you using to press with  when in the pot before the transfer to the dutch press?

forgive the questions. it just isnt making sense to me.

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:52 PM »
Peter Dixon suggests using a wire mesh atop the curds (which are in cheesecloth beneath whey) and pressing using a bucket filled with the appropriate weight... ;)