Author Topic: follower thickness  (Read 2983 times)

MarkShelton

follower thickness
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »
I am considering getting some new molds, and since they don't come with followers, I was thinking about ordering some of the "cutting board material" to make my own. I'm not sure what thickness to get. I don't want to waste my money getting it thicker than I need, but I want to ensure that they won't warp under pressure. I know that the larger the mold, the thicker follower I should get, but other than that, does anyone have any guidelines for thickness of a follower?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: follower thickness
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:16:45 PM »
Mine is around 1/2 inch for a 7" mold.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
You could always buy the thinner stuff and make two followers to get the thickness without the expense...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
I use cutting boards from the dollar store. They often have boards that are like 14" x 7" and 1/2" thick for around $2.99. I grab a few every now and then they work for a lot of things

humble_servant7

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »
I use cutting boards from the dollar store. They often have boards that are like 14" x 7" and 1/2" thick for around $2.99. I grab a few every now and then they work for a lot of things

Hmmm.. Good post!

I wish I could find some of that cutting board material a little thicker though!

1/2" just wont cut it.

MarkShelton

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
Linuxboy has mentioned Tap Plastics in another thread as a place to get some HDPE (cutting board material) and after a quick search, seems to be priced well below some of its competitors. Still not as cheap as a dollar store find, but you'll never find 3/4 or 1 inch thickness at the dollar store.

humble_servant7

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:15 AM »
Linuxboy has mentioned Tap Plastics in another thread as a place to get some HDPE (cutting board material) and after a quick search, seems to be priced well below some of its competitors. Still not as cheap as a dollar store find, but you'll never find 3/4 or 1 inch thickness at the dollar store.

ah!! thank you, my good sir.

This post was truly god-sent.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 04:08:50 AM »
You could always cut two and screw them together with a course thread stainless screws  or just stack them.

If you want thicker ones go to a store like Sears or a resteraunt supply store they have thicker ones. WalMart does sometimes. I get a lot from Job Lot they have thicker ones quite often but they are usually really big boards - 2 foot wide.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »
I used a regular "cutting board" thickness... I purchased a large cutting board @ Sam's for about $9, cut some circles from it and used them as followers.  I put these on my "monster press" this weekend and cranked up to 300 lbs (should have been 150 but I had a senior moment) with no deformity on an 8" diameter.  I also did 600 lbs to test the press (dry -- no cheese) and barely made a scratch on the follower.

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

Minamyna

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
Is a follower the lid thingy that goes on top for pressing?

FarmerJd

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »
Yes it "follows" the cheese. It is normally slightly smaller in diameter than the hoop so that it can move as the curds consolidate.