Author Topic: i just want to make good cheddar!  (Read 7665 times)

The_blue

Re: i just want to make good cheddar!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
I've been following this thread and made a cheddar today :) My pH wasn't hitting the 5.3 intill just after the 2 hours cheddaring when it jumped to 5.1! I was running out of whey to test. :o

I've started the pressing and it's had 2 lb (14 at the cheese) for 15 mins 4lb (28 at the cheese) for 45 mins and now over night at 15 lb (105lb on the cheese)

Tomorrow i'll start it on 20lb then after a day move to 25 if i dare (175 lbs on the cheese!) I like a crumbly cheddar. ;)

SueVT

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:18 AM »
Sounds good, you will probably get great results!  Cloth wrap it for the best flavor....

:)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:39:20 AM »
Crumbly should be easy!  Low humidity will do that. Good luck

The_blue

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 05:27:02 AM »
Sounds good, you will probably get great results!  Cloth wrap it for the best flavor....

:)

It's going to be waxed.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
Crumbly should be easy!  Low humidity will do that.
If the cheese is waxed, larded, or vac bagged, moisture isn't lost into the atmosphere and humidity has little or no effect on the texture. More acidity is the primary way to achieve a drier, "crumbly" cheese. Just cook a little longer before draining or cheddar a little longer so the pH drops to where you want it. I like my cheddar a little smoother, so I don't let the pH drop quite as much. A pH meter really helps with consistency.

Whey contains lactose, which the bacteria "feed on" and convert to lactic acid. Ripening, cooking, draining, washing, cheddaring, and pressing are all tools to control pH and the outcome. When you drain a cheese, you are removing a big portion of the "food" available to the bacteria. Washed curd cheeses like Colby remove lots of lactose. That's why Colby is a milder, smoother cheese than Cheddar. Pressing also removes whey and helps control ongoing acidification. That's why I'm not a fan of extra long pressing times with lower weights. The longer a cheese takes to press, the longer it takes to get out excess whey, and the lower the pH. If it's a brined cheese, then the cheese has a much longer time to acidify before brining.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
Nice response Sailor!

The_blue

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 07:19:39 AM »
Nice response Sailor!

I aggree! Thanks!

I'm getting a pile of cheeses built up now and i've not tried one of them lol.

My 1st hard cheese was an attempt at a Derby (since i live in Derbyshire ;)). It's 2 months old today and although young will be broken into on Wednesday as the person who bought me the moulds is coming over for dinner.

Fingers crossed!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
I love Derby and I am working on my own recipe for a unique "Kentucky Derby". Sorry, no hints as to ingredients. ;) My advise is to wait 30 days more before cutting. There is a HUGE difference between a 60 day and a 90 day Derby. You will probably find that a 60 day old is a little sour and acidic. It improves with aging up to 5 or 6 months. After that, it doesn't seem to improve like a long aged cheddar.

humble_servant7

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Crumbly should be easy!  Low humidity will do that.
If the cheese is waxed, larded, or vac bagged, moisture isn't lost into the atmosphere and humidity has little or no effect on the texture. More acidity is the primary way to achieve a drier, "crumbly" cheese. Just cook a little longer before draining or cheddar a little longer so the pH drops to where you want it. I like my cheddar a little smoother, so I don't let the pH drop quite as much. A pH meter really helps with consistency.

Whey contains lactose, which the bacteria "feed on" and convert to lactic acid. Ripening, cooking, draining, washing, cheddaring, and pressing are all tools to control pH and the outcome. When you drain a cheese, you are removing a big portion of the "food" available to the bacteria. Washed curd cheeses like Colby remove lots of lactose. That's why Colby is a milder, smoother cheese than Cheddar. Pressing also removes whey and helps control ongoing acidification. That's why I'm not a fan of extra long pressing times with lower weights. The longer a cheese takes to press, the longer it takes to get out excess whey, and the lower the pH. If it's a brined cheese, then the cheese has a much longer time to acidify before brining.

Sailor, you're the best.

The_blue

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:56 AM »
I love Derby and I am working on my own recipe for a unique "Kentucky Derby". Sorry, no hints as to ingredients. ;) My advise is to wait 30 days more before cutting. There is a HUGE difference between a 60 day and a 90 day Derby. You will probably find that a 60 day old is a little sour and acidic. It improves with aging up to 5 or 6 months. After that, it doesn't seem to improve like a long aged cheddar.

The taste is good :) I have other cheeses of similar age to ripen longer but i just couldn't wait any longer ;)

cheesehead

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
During cheddaring, I don't pH the whey, but the curd itself (wrap it around the pH probe).  Since wheying off happens during the press, I usually add ~2.5 - 2.8% salt by wright to get ~2% in the finished cheddar.

I've been following this thread and made a cheddar today :) My pH wasn't hitting the 5.3 intill just after the 2 hours cheddaring when it jumped to 5.1! I was running out of whey to test. :o

I've started the pressing and it's had 2 lb (14 at the cheese) for 15 mins 4lb (28 at the cheese) for 45 mins and now over night at 15 lb (105lb on the cheese)

Tomorrow i'll start it on 20lb then after a day move to 25 if i dare (175 lbs on the cheese!) I like a crumbly cheddar. ;)

JMB

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »
You can also grab a handfull of curds and squeeze the whey out and test that way if that is any easier. Agree--the better pH test is from right out of the curd whey. Just a thought
J

tally

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:14 AM »
Newbie here. Also trying to make good cheddar. Where did you find your chafing dish? Any good links to share? I'm in western Montana and stores are few and far between.